New and wanting to get some ideas

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmatthews_jm

Reaction score
I'm new here to the forum so to introduce myself, I'm Clay. I'm a 20 year old college student with only a handful of cash and a million dollar mind. My dad (and I) have a 1448 Voyager mod-v that he bought a few years ago. The boat is super stable and came with carpeted floors. Dad did what I call a little comfort modifications and added a bow and rear seat. Other than that the boat came with a 15hp evinrude (not new but in good condition), tiller trolling motor and it was rigged with a throttle and steering stick mounted to the middle of the boat. It has a trailer that fits the boat but the bunks don't fit the boat.

Basically, considering that I like to duck hunt and do some fishin during the summer, I was gonna try and make a boat with the comfort of a bass boat and the huntability of a duck boat. I don't know if that's possible but I sure want to try. I know how to make a boat blind so that really isn't the issue for now. I just don't really know how to get started.

My plans are to gut the boat floors because I know they aren't in the best of shape. The boat needs a new coat of paint for sure so I was gonna do that and replace the floors with plywood. I wasn't sure about adding decking yet because I don't know what kind of weight that would add but eventually I would probably do that. I am most definitely going to make new bunks and fit them to the boat because I am tired of having to half way get the boat on the trailer most of the time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated, I have a little time to gather materials and ideas because this is probably gonna be a summer project. Let me now what you guys think and from what I can tell, you guys are the ones to ask. Thanks.

PS: I will get some pictures up at some point, classes are a little important at the moment. :/

If it can be done to a boat, someone here can tell you how and probably provide pictures. Check out the sticky boat mod pages. Tons of ideas and hours of reading and pictures.

Welcome Clay - what school?

and please fill out your profile so we know where you are located - really helps us out when giving advice

I'm a sophomore at NC State in Landscape Architecture. And I did my profile last night I thought, but in case it didn't work I'm from good ole' Nash County in NC. I think Zebulon would be the closest town or Rocky mount if you want more specifics.

cmatthews_jm said:
I'm a sophomore at NC State in Landscape Architecture. And I did my profile last night I thought, but in case it didn't work I'm from good ole' Nash County in NC. I think Zebulon would be the closest town or Rocky mount if you want more specifics.

Go Pack!

images

Wait putting 2 and 2 together does that make you Clay Matthews? I say "Go Pack" for a whole different reason.
green-bay-packers-logo.jpg

Welcome Aboard, let's see some pics.

Nussy said:
Wait putting 2 and 2 together does that make you Clay Matthews? I say "Go Pack" for a whole different reason.

Welcome Aboard, let's see some pics.
I agree with your "Go Pack" as well.

Yes that does make me Clay Matthews but, unfortunately I don't think I will be getting to endorse anything like he probably did with his recent Super Bowl win. :/ O well.

I was finally able to get the boat out and wash it and get some pictures. When ever I get back to school and to a computer with photoshop/illustrator I will try to set up some diagrams/illustrations of what I have in mind or want to do. Tell me what you think.

The boat is a Voyager 1452 I think.

Attachments

• IMG-20110307-00029.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00029.jpg
    537.9 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG-20110307-00030.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00030.jpg
    533.8 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG-20110307-00031.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00031.jpg
    467.3 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG-20110307-00032.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00032.jpg
    516.9 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG-20110307-00033.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00033.jpg
    572.7 KB · Views: 909
  • IMG-20110307-00034.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 906
  • IMG-20110307-00037.jpg
    IMG-20110307-00037.jpg
    215.9 KB · Views: 909
Wow that front seat looks dangerous, I know I'd definitely end up in the drink up there :LOL2: . Looks like a fun project.

If you want to fish and duck hunt from the boat, it defientely can be done. Im pretty sure there are some builds on here that cover both. Like others have said, check out the builds section to get your ideas rolling and you will have your boat in the build process in no time. Weclome to the board and......

Attachments

• da u.jpg
    da u.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 297

Latest posts