Motor size?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taiko

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new and needed some suggestions. I just purchased a 12ft tin. It says Lone Star on the little badge. I'm not firmiliar with any boat so I was endearing if I can exceed the motor size. It says 7.5hp on the badge but was wondering if I can put maybe a 15hp outboard. Would to know more about this boat if anyone has had any experience with one. Thanks for reading and hopefully for any suggestions!

Theres no doubt you can do it. It would def push that boat better than a 7.5, and the weight wouldnt be that much of a difference since most 15's weigh the same as a 9.9, assuming youre not gonna load down the boat with a lot of other things. The problem would be with the law/game warden/police etc. or whoever checks for those sort of things in your part of the woods.

With the right 15, that little boat would be a rocket, and it may not be safe. Overall, I would not advise it.

Ive seen a few guys upgrade 25hp motors to 35hp, and their boat was only rated for a 25. They had no problems, but I couldnt make a judgement call on a smaller boat....I mean, thats a 100% increase in power stepping up from a 7.5 to a 15, and the guys I know are only adding 40% more power by going from a 25 to a 35

It might not be a good move...

Can you try the motor out before you buy it?

I would go with a few year old 8 hp merc or 9.9hp 2 stroke and call it a day. Most 9.9's are just 15HP motors with a smaller carb. If it doesn't have enough juice then you can get a carb from a 15 and Fly with it!

Thanks guys! I was considering a 9.9 Also. Looks like a 15 will only put me in danger of sinking and or in trouble with the sheriff on the lakes. I see different motors with long shaft or regular shaft.... How the heck so I know what I need??? Im nit even sure if its called a shaft...I have a 3.5 hp right now and I don't know weather is long or regular... The motor game with the boat and I have yet to take either out onto a lake. Another question I had was is it safe at all to try and take it out to the marina? I dont know if i need a specific motor for saltwater.. Thanks again guys, love this site btw!

Check this web page out it answers all your questions. https://www.smalloutboards.com/shaft.htm

Latest posts