12' 1967 Harbercraft - New Toy

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EasternEasy

Reaction score
Hi All;

Found this site a couple of weeks ago and it's already been super helpful as I plan what to do with my new toy.

Here's the requisite "before" pics.

Thanks in advance for your patience with my inevitable onslaught of stupid questions as I play around with this boat.

EE

Attachments

• 12' Harbercraft 1967 rear view.jpg
    12' Harbercraft 1967 rear view.jpg
    112.5 KB · Views: 9,671
  • 12' Harbercraft 1967 top view.jpg
    12' Harbercraft 1967 top view.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 9,671
Welcome aboard. Nice looking boat you got. When you get a chance, update your profile with your location. I assmue in the NE somewhere given your name and that white stuff in the pictures.

Thanks to all for the welcome. Decateur - there is so such a thing as a stupid question, I should know, I ask 'em all the time, just ask my wife. :)

Anyways, here's my plan and rationale. Any feedback welcome.

I intend to use the boat for fishing in small lakes and large rivers. I live 1 block from the Grand River in Ontario, and hope to take advantage of that fact and get out on the water WAY more than I have, which has been pretty much zero. Though not far from Lake Erie/Long Point Bay, I think this little boat would be too shallow and tippy for that. I fish in Northern Ontario a couple of times a year and am basically considering this boat to replace my canoe, as I think the days of paddling and portaging into Algonquin Park have given way to more drive in fishing with a motor. I figure the 12 footer can still go up on a roof rack or in the back of a pick up and down logging roads, and be far easier than trolling/paddling out of a canoe.

My plan for the boat is a three stage plan. I want to get it serviceable/presentable for a spring trip to Quebec in May, which I consider Phase 1. Phase one would include general clean up of the boat, remove and replace the odd job hardware on various parts, remove and replace transom, install seats (likely clamp on for now) &rod holders, and figure out if I can transom mount a 9.9 Johnson and a trolling motor at the same time. I also need to have the 9.9 that came with it serviced. It runs, but the low idle is f'd, and I have absolutely no mechanical aptitude at all, so that's an expense I can't avoid.

Phase Two would be to sand/scrape/paint both the interior and hull. I've read the Steelflex thread, and am intrigued and intimidated by the process, but will likely try that or something similar. I think it was Bufford's mod where he used what looked to be a pretty robust non skid paint on his set up. I'm not sure I want to add decking to this boat both from a weight perspective and given how I'll be using this boat. If I'm going to modify the seats or anything else structurally, this is would happen in Phase 2.

Depending on how much I'm using it after Phases 1 & 2 - hopefully lots, especially locally, I'll make a decision about Phase 3. If I'm using it lots on the Grand, I'll keep it and figure out what if anything else I want to do with it. If I'm using it and get a bad case of 2 foot-itis, I may consider selling it and buying a 14, as I think with two growing boys that will hopefully want to join me on the water, I could use the extra room.

Oh yeah, I also have a trailer project I'll likely be bugging all of you about as well.

OK. Got the boat in the garage today. How cool is my wife? She helped me carry it in in the rain, that's how cool!

Started by removing the old transom plates and interior strip, as well as all the old mismatched hardware. Pretty raunchy. The plywood transom and strip were basically mush, and much of the hardware was pin thin and snapped off.

Next steps are to measure and cut new pieces for the transom and replace the odd job hardware.

I'd like to get busy on the seats as well, but am going to be out of commission for a while, and then work gets crazy for me, so I'll have to work on it as I can. I also can't get too far ahead of myself b/c I still haven't tested it for leaks yet. I'm contemplating trying an inside out test, just fill it with water and see what happens, as I still need to give it a good wash down, as you can see by the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 9,561
  • IMG_4204.jpg
    IMG_4204.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 9,561
  • IMG_4206.jpg
    IMG_4206.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 9,561
  • IMG_4215.jpg
    IMG_4215.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 9,561
  • IMG_4216.jpg
    IMG_4216.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 9,561
  • IMG_4214.jpg
    IMG_4214.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 9,561
  • IMG_4220.jpg
    IMG_4220.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 9,561
Of course I'm WAAAAY ahead of myself here, I haven't even leak tested the boat yet, so all of this is a little premature.

Here's my amateurish attempt at a layout design. My version of CAD is iPhoto and Word. :D

I think most of the shapes/locations are pretty self explanatory. The dotted line boxes on the bench and the floor are tackle boxes, and the gold coloured "line" on the middle bench is planning where I'm storing my foldable net. The "arrows" on the gunwales are where I plan on putting the rod holders.

The white shaded area just in front of the back bench on the left side is storage. I'd like to build a frame/box that could hold a minn kota power centre case and battery. I figure the weight of the battery should balance out the gas can on the opposite side. The white/grey gradient shaded box is where I see the battery going. The trapezoid is where I'd place my portable fish finder.

My question on this project is: Do I build a box with a hinged lid or do I just do a cut out that the case can drop into? I was thinking I make the other portion a small storage box for misc items that I would put the fish finder on when the lid was closed.

My other dilemma is what to do with the area under the bow cap. I'd like to have some way to put a shelf, cabinet, something up there to store the anchor/chain/rope without it cluttering up the floor.

I would like to try and figure out a way to have both the outboard and the trolling motor mounted at the same time. It's not that I'll use them both at the same time, but I know there's a couple of lakes where a trolling motor won't get me to where I need to be fast enough, and the 9.9 can't troll slow enough. Any suggestions on that welcome, and I'd prefer to stay with a transom mount troller both from on cost and control (don't want to mess with more wiring and foot pedals, etc).

I'm actually quite pleased with what I've been able to plan out here, and think it suits my needs (especially for my upcoming trip) quite well. Most of the ideas I've ripped off of folks here, so thanks again. I do appreciate any suggestions on how to build the storage/battery box and what to do with the bow cap area especially.

EasternEasy

Attachments

• screen-capture.png
    screen-capture.png
    424.2 KB · Views: 9,494
Just noticed....you might need to move your gas tank from right behind you to the other back corner to even out weight. The rest looks like a great plan.

I've also seen a few builds that close in the front bow space. With some searching...I'm sure you can find ideas for that. Nice to have that as usable space.

Fender;

I thought about moving the tank to the other side, but I kind of want to keep that space clear as it gives me a good place to stand up. I'm planning on putting the battery on the other side, just fore of the back bench, and was hoping that would balance out the fuel and can. I'm rarely (read never) out without another person in the boat, so I'm hoping the offset seats take care of passenger ballast distribution.

Really appreciate all the insights and tips here, this is a wicked board with great participation!

Easy

For sure. I'm hoping the numerous hours I've spent sitting in boats looking at gear and layouts b/c the fish aren't biting (I'm good at the fishing part, the catching part, not as much :) ) might actually pay off with a plan that works. That said, changing things up when it doesn't work according to plan is just another excuse to "field test". :)

Easy

You're going to need some space for the cooler....I would recommend a 54Q Coleman Stainless Steel Belted.....giddyup!

EasternEasy said:
OK. Got the boat in the garage today. How cool is my wife? She helped me carry it in in the rain

My hero! :LOL2:

The question to be answered though.....be honest now. Did she complain the whole time? :mrgreen:

No way! Super cool, my wife. =D>

Getting started on the transom replacement this weekend. Hopefully will be warm enough to stain and seal in the garage. Otherwise I'll just be limited to cutting and drilling.

Latest posts