Just about to get started, but looking for advice

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just joined the site a couple days ago. I am getting around to getting pictures of my boat in its current state. It has been so miserable here Indianpolis that I really don't care to pull it out to take some pictures. My Boat is a 1976 Alumnacraft 14' Deep V. I am working on getting a motor some time soon. Probably around a 25 hp. outboard. I have an idea for how I want the finished product to look, but I think I don't have the know how to get it there. My usual motto is "wing it", but I see that not being the best of ideas. I want to build a raised deck just under the side railing of the boat. With this elevated floor I am going to have to do some framing. I am not carpeting the boat, but will probably put down a non skid material for the surface, linex, herculiner, Cabelas non skid, etc. I have several questions that I need your help with before I start this build.

Framing - I read on another post in here about using galvanized brackets and attaching them to metal saying that is a bad idea due to chemical reaction between the aluminum and the galvanized steel. Any thoughts?

Also, I have a friend that is going to be helping me on this rebuild and he is wanting to weld square tubing for the frame. So framing using steel instead of wood. Which I see several of you using wood in here and I don't know if its because it is cheaper, wood is better, etc. Wood vs. steel?

Floor covering - I mentioned earlier about non-skid material for the flooring. What is a good material to use, but still reasonably affordable? Although probably not my cheapest option I am leaning towards linex. I have another friend that put it on his boat and it definitely meets my standards for durability.

Transom -I am going to probably rebuild the transom. The wood on there currenty looks kind of rough. Being that I feel the transom is very important I am looking for advice or helping me find some other posts where you guys rebuild the transom.

I am going to have to seal the edge of the boat where the new floor meets up with the aluminum siding of the boat.

I will post pictures as soon as I get them, possibly later today, if not it will be on the weekend. Thanks in advance!

IndyWingmaster said:
Hey everyone, I just joined the site a couple days ago. I am getting around to getting pictures of my boat in its current state. It has been so miserable here Indianpolis that I really don't care to pull it out to take some pictures. My Boat is a 1976 Alumnacraft 14' Deep V. I am working on getting a motor some time soon. Probably around a 25 hp. outboard. I have an idea for how I want the finished product to look, but I think I don't have the know how to get it there. My usual motto is "wing it", but I see that not being the best of ideas. I want to build a raised deck just under the side railing of the boat. With this elevated floor I am going to have to do some framing. I am not carpeting the boat, but will probably put down a non skid material for the surface, linex, herculiner, Cabelas non skid, etc. I have several questions that I need your help with before I start this build.

Framing - I read on another post in here about using galvanized brackets and attaching them to metal saying that is a bad idea due to chemical reaction between the aluminum and the galvanized steel. Any thoughts?

This is why it is better to use thicker aluminum brackets. Use similar metals when possible.

IndyWingmaster said:
Also, I have a friend that is going to be helping me on this rebuild and he is wanting to weld square tubing for the frame. So framing using steel instead of wood. Which I see several of you using wood in here and I don't know if its because it is cheaper, wood is better, etc. Wood vs. steel?
Steel may be stronger but when you take in account steel + water contact, even the better galvanized steels rust over time. Wood if sealed properly can be strong enough and lightweight enough, and last a long time. Just remember DO NOT USE PRE-TREATED WOOD! The copper in all treated wood will react and corrode the aluminum on the boat causing weak spots and eventually hull failure.

IndyWingmaster said:
Floor covering - I mentioned earlier about non-skid material for the flooring. What is a good material to use, but still reasonably affordable? Although probably not my cheapest option I am leaning towards linex. I have another friend that put it on his boat and it definitely meets my standards for durability.

This is a matter of personal preference. Some people just paint/seal/coat the bottom, some build floors, some use those interlocking rubber mats like used in an office. The main thing to look at is sound: drop a rod or something hard on the floor, and even with the coating it will still give a good thud and transmit the sound through the boat and into the water, which is bad for fishing. Versus a regular floor or the rubber mats, will just make a dull thud and less "loud" sound to scare off the fish.

IndyWingmaster said:
Transom -I am going to probably rebuild the transom. The wood on there currently looks kind of rough. Being that I feel the transom is very important I am looking for advice or helping me find some other posts where you guys rebuild the transom.
Usually a single piece of 3/4" plywood (again, non-treated), sealed and painted is your best option. A single piece allows for distributed weight across the transom, whereas multiple boards will put more weight on that board and its contact area, potentially causing long term problems.

IndyWingmaster said:
I am going to have to seal the edge of the boat where the new floor meets up with the aluminum siding of the boat.

I will post pictures as soon as I get them, possibly later today, if not it will be on the weekend. Thanks in advance!

Great keep us updated!

Steel vs. Wood?

I'd take wood on that, every day of the week, and twice on Sunday.

Aluminum would be ideal, but if the above are the only options, wood is the only way to go.

If your going to go with wood instead of aluminum for the framing.....Myself and a lot of other people on here used 2x2's and galvanized brackets (L and 4 pt) they work great and are plenty strong. If you are Xtra large 250 plus. You might want to go with 2x3's or a mix of 2x2 and 2x3's. 15/32's and 3/4 ply are good for the decking too.

I am fairly new to this site myself and have learned a lot from these guys.

A couple of the the most important lessons I learned are..... NOT to use pressure treated plywood (it corrodes alum) or marine Plywood (way overpriced). Just get regular exterior sheething ply and use a couple coats of spar urethane (I used spray cans by minwax from HD). Also use closed cell foam if your going to use foam anywhere.

apparently line-X and Durabak are good products to use as well.

Take your time and have fun with this build. Part of the reason you are doing this if for the enjoyment of the restoration process. If you take your time, find good deals, ask questions, and take advice from experienced "tin-boaters" you will have fun with it and it will be a memorable experience.

I am already searching for my next project.

I am only slightly ahead of you in framing my 16' Jon. I also live just South of Indy. I can email pics or you can always drop by to see what I have done, right or wrong.

Bob

All the advice so far is great guys!
nkhrfh - I may just take you up on the offer. I'll send you a pm later.

I myself am around 200lbs, but I might be the smallest of my hunting buddies so it sounds like I will be using larger dimension wood in places. Also, gonna go with the wood instead of steel, thanks a lot! I would have never known about the treated lumber if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks a lot, that will probably save me from some headaches down the road.

Latest posts