Weight

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bubba7776 said:
What does the actual rated weight mean listed on a boat, and how much over that can the boat hold?

It is a recommendation. In my experience (although very limited - I am on my first boat) you can go much over that recommendation. I'm sure there are laws governing the manufacturer to place those limits on your boat, and for good reason - it is all about safety. Personally, my 1436 is rated for 3 people, max weight 580 lbs.

I have over 120 lbs of wood, carpeting and hardware on my boat. Add seats, gear, 2 batteries, a stocked cooler, bait bucket, and a trolling motor... and that number jumps to about 250 lbs without even putting anyone in the boat. I usually fish with my brother-in-law. I go 240 and he goes 270. Add it all up and we are at around 760 lbs which is 180 over the recommendation weight, and the boat sits nicely in the water (about 6-8 inches from the gunwales to the water line).

As far as the number of people on your boat... If I had more than 3 it wouldn't be managable. I could have more on there, but too many people in a such a little space doesn't work for me. Two's company, three's a crowd!

I would worry more about the horsepower limit for your boat than the maximum weight. I am interested in what other people say though, since I am undoubtedly over the recommended limits on my boat.

Both weight and max HP limits have been discussed here in other threads...

Basically 2 things to consider...Saftey and being legal....

Saftey is a no brainer... being legal means if you are stopped by a game warden and are obviously over max limits it could mean a fine... also if something were to happen (accident) and someone got hurt and it was proven over max limits, insurance would not cover any claims as well as civil lawsuits would be easier to win...

All formulas to calculate max ratings can be found here....

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Outdoorsman.

Check the state laws, Florida has this law on the books:
No person may operate a monohull boat of less than 20 feet in length while exceeding the
maximum weight, persons, or horsepower capacity as displayed on the manufacturer’s
capacity plate.

I would think that most states should have the same wording in their law books as well. Just hope the local Game Warden or Wildlife Commission or whoever handles that stuff doesn't get you for it. Those stickers and limits are in place for a reason.

i was told that the weight rating is acually how much weight in water it will hold before it sinks to the bottom. dont know if its fact or not.

bcbouy said:
i was told that the weight rating is acually how much weight in water it will hold before it sinks to the bottom. dont know if its fact or not.

Nope - at least not so far for many people.

Read what Outdoorsman wrote - he is dead on

Outdoorsman said:
Both weight and max HP limits have been discussed here in other threads...

Basically 2 things to consider...Saftey and being legal....

Saftey is a no brainer... being legal means if you are stopped by a game warden and are obviously over max limits it could mean a fine... also if something were to happen (accident) and someone got hurt and it was proven over max limits, insurance would not cover any claims as well as civil lawsuits would be easier to win...

All formulas to calculate max ratings can be found here....

https://files.dnr.state.mn.us/education_safety/safety/boatwater/backyardboatbuilders.pdf

Outdoorsman.

Outdoorsman, thanks for your post. I was just talking with a friend about hp for my boat and this information just what I was looking for.

Latest posts