Boat Paint Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webvamp

Reaction score
Hey Everyone... I have a 14 ft Monark that I'm gonna strip the old paint off of and then repaint. I was hoping someone could give me some advise:

1. I got a gal of Zip-Strip Industrial Strength Paint & Finish Remover to get down to the bare aluminum but from what I've read you better be ready to paint cause the aluminum will start oxidizing. What's the time frame from strip to paint need to be?

2. I've read about people using self etching primer and some who use Yellow Zinc Chromate? What's the difference?

3rd. I picked up a paint spray gun at Harbor Freight to use on the boat. How much paint does it take to paint the inside and outside of a 14 foot Jon boat?

Thanks for any suggestions,

Rusty

I sandblasted my boat back in the summer. Still havnt gotten around to painting it because there is some welding to be done on it. No signs of oxidation yet. Still looks like the day I blasted it.

If it's not to late take back the zip strip and get a gallon of air craft remover. I tried to use zip strip and it did not do near as well as aircraft remover. Also grab a couple of stripping pads. These made life a lot easer.

Thanks.... I bought the stripper off line so I cant take it back but after reading some more post I think Im just gonna sand off the loose paint, rough the other up and use self etching primer. As expensive as marine paint is I'm glad to find out 2 qts should do it.

Rusty

that's what i did, sanded loose off, roughed the rest primed it all and used a oil based paint, works pretty good so far, but now i'm having to do some welding and whatnot so i'm going to have to do some more painting in the near future.

It's getting fishing weather here in KY and I really don't want to tie the boat up and miss the fun. I think roughing it up and do enough to hold me over another year or 2 might be the way to go. I found some Rustoleum Marine grade topcoat paint for $14 a qt with free shipping so I will probably hit it with a couple qts. Good luck on the welding!

webvamp said:
It's getting fishing weather here in KY and I really don't want to tie the boat up and miss the fun.

MY MAN! I am not an advocate of paining a boat that does not really need the paint for anything other then to look purty. The fish do not care and the boat does not care

Would rather see a photo of you holding a nice fish in a faded old boat then a photo of your sparkly new paint job in your driveway - but hay, I am just sayin. . .

I agree... Cant wait to get on the water so the big overhaul will have to wait. The lake I fish has a good population of big ones, biggest I've caught was a little over 8lbs but if your not pulling in 5-10 2-5 pounders a day you probably don't have a line in the water. I'll post some pics soon.