rod tube help???? FINISHED PROJECT!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

00 mod

Reaction score
I ordered rod racks like a bass tracker pro angler 16. The outside diameter of the tubes measure 1 5/8''! Dummy me picked up my 1 3/4'' hole saw on accident and drilled the first hole! Luckily I test fitted before moving on, or I would have this problem with all 8. What would you do to take up the slack and make this one fit right! Also do you think just the tight hole will keep the entire tube (16'') in place on all of them or will I need to do something under my deck?
Jeff

photo-3.jpg

If I get it right, why not just run a bead of clear silicon around it and it will be there from now on. Use clear and will not be seen or do all of them and they will look like the factory installed them.

I feel so slighted. I thought I was having an original idea when I was thinking of doing this to my boat. #-o

How long are those tubes?

x2 about the clear silicone. Tight in the hole plus the silicone should keep them in place.

WOW, I didnt realize how dark that picture was! The tubes are roughly 16'' long, and the only support they have are the holes where they feed through that deck wall! The silicone idea sounds great! I had also though to make an overlay of thin aluminum and rivet it to the wall to make up for that one hole! Just trying to gather ideas before I finish! Thanks and keep em coming!
Jeff

I can't see the picture where I'm at (stupid censor), but based on what I think the picture has, I'd take Ahab's idea, but instead of just putting a square over the hole, I'd cut a panel to fit the opening entirely, so it doesn't appear to be a patch.

Is there nothing to support them up front? On the build I used them in, there was flotation foam up under the deck, so coring that out, they were well supported and snugly held through the entire length. If there was nothing to support them, I'd probably cut a large enough opening that a front support could fit in, then use the patch panel to hold the back end of the tubes.

I was wanting to cut a panel for all 4 rod tubes on each side that way it wouldn't look like a patch! Also, the tubes slide into my 16'' storage space and do not extend into the foam part of the deck! The hole is only about 1/8'' to big, but it just doesn't fit snug enough.... Guess my first initial thought would be right! Any ideas on supporting the back, or do you think the shortness of them will not sag in the back?
Jeff

00 mod said:
I was wanting to cut a panel for all 4 rod tubes on each side that way it wouldn't look like a patch! Also, the tubes slide into my 16'' storage space and do not extend into the foam part of the deck! The hole is only about 1/8'' to big, but it just doesn't fit snug enough.... Guess my first initial thought would be right! Any ideas on supporting the back, or do you think the shortness of them will not sag in the back?
Jeff

Where you are saying back, I was saying front. They'll definitely need something. If you can gain any access to there, the simplest solution might be getting a piece of foam, and coring the holes out for them, then wedging the foam into place.

ok, so I dug into this project a bit more today and this is what I came up with!

First since the original hole was to big, I went to home depot and got some flat aluminum sheet! Came home cut out a piece to mock up to cover original hole and make small enough to fit tubes snugly! After I figured that all out, I figured a way to make a panel to hold the rear of the tubes(front haha)! Then I then I made the entire thing outside the boat before installing it, then took it all back apart and installed! Here are the pics of the first side done! To do the other side tomorrow and paint both of the "patch" pieces!

Jeff

photo-4.jpg

photo-5.jpg

photo-6.jpg

A look at the inside under the deck!
photo-8.jpg

The rear clips
photo-7.jpg

And test fitting the setup!
photo-9.jpg

Looks good!

Only thing I'd do, if it weren't too much trouble to remove, is round the corners over on the exposed piece. Might save you from snagging it with a piece of cloth or skin, and gives a cleaner look.

For sure gonna round the corners. Also, I am going to paint the patches either matching green if I can find it or black. Gonna finish the Other side today and post a completed pic or two.

Alright...well here are the pictures of the finished project! Guess what else I found out today....

photo-10.jpg

photo-11.jpg

I'M TINT BLIND!! HAHA

Nice! That's a Weldbilt isn't it? I've got a 1548v and love it. I've done a few mods on this one and I'm gonna do something similar to your rod holder idea.

I do have pics of the rear deck build, just no where near as detailed. See attached. The hinge is welded on as well, and is a heavy duty stainless hinge.

The clips are actually bought from tracker marine and they are the same ones they use, just had to do a little modifying to get just the way I wanted!

photo-27.jpg

photo-26.jpg

Jeff

Latest posts