new member, new boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey fellas, just bought a 1988 sea nymph, its 17ft long, 6 feet wide, it has a 70hp Nissan that will fly. I do ALOT of crappie fishing and this boat is perfect. I already have it setup to fish 16 rods and a time and just bought a new 55lb thrust motor guide for the front. I stumbled onto this site b/c a few of the rivits leak in the boat and i googled "leaky rivits" and this site popped up. Im a structural mechanic (AM) in the Navy so rivits are no big deal to me b/c i do that kinda stuff all day at work. I was lookin for some epoxy to seal the rivits once i put new ones in so i wouldnt have to worry about them coming loose again as the boat flex's and so fourth. Well, i replaced all the bad rivits. I took the bad ones out, drilled the hole one size bigger and put in new rivits. I thought i had everything fixed and ready to seal until i filled theboat back up with water and then found out that rivits that werent leaking at first were now leaking. Im guessing its from all the vibration of me putting in the new rivits. Its not too bad, its only about 3 or 4 of em but it still bothers me. I have looked at a few peoples builds on here and see that steelflex is the product to go with so i think im gonna get some and flip the boat over and apply it. I fish alot so im just gonna wait till maybe the dead heat of summer to do this and deal with the leaky rivits until then cause i dont wanna miss the crappie and bream spawn. Is there any product that i can put over the rivits just to get me by until the summer when im going to strip the boat out, flip it over and fix it proper? Thanks for any help. Here is a few pics of the rig, only had it 2 weeks now, needs a lil carpet here and there but its a really nice boat for the type fishing i do. sea nymp 003.jpg sea nymp 001.jpg

Southern Young Gun said:
Is there any product that i can put over the rivits just to get me by until the summer when im going to strip the boat out, flip it over and fix it proper?

Use some 3M 5200 on those rivets! Not a "permanent" fix but if you clean the area and give the 5200 a few days to set and dry I bet it will last a long, long time

Welcome to the site,nice boat/motor.
I hear that 3M 5200 is pretty tough/sticky stuff...may even be permanent.

Welcome to TinBoats. Nice rig. You should find all kinds of info about rivets here. Try the search option.

Thanks for your service too! :USA1:

I did a few last year with 3m 5200, just did a little on the outside and inside for a temporary seal. Just be carefully it is really tough messy stuff and after it cures for a few days its really strong, mine looks the same on the bottom this year as when it was applied, and the boat has been beached many times. Sweet Boat, good luck.