considering the possibility...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome :WELCOME: :WELCOME:

Please complete your profile so we know where you are hailing us from.

I have no real answer to your question but be patient and I am sure one of members has

Do you plan to use 2 separate engines (one jet drive and one with a prop?) and put them on and off as needed or hang both engines off teh transom at the same time?

Why the need for the prop if you have the jet?

In a perfect world we would all have a boat for every type of condition.

It sounds like a pain in the butt to have to swap motors all the time. Plus you would still have to shell out cash for the most expensive part of a a boat...The Motor x2. You might be better off just building or buying a good used smaller jet rig already set up for those times when you wanna get in the skinny water. I would suggest a 1448 with a jet tiller.

As far as stability between the 1455 and the 1752goes. You shouldnt be able to tell the difference. They both have the exact same surface area. Total surface area (not width alone) is what makes a boat stable!

1455....14+55=69
1752....17+52=69
They are the same!

As for suggestions.... I would think that a boat about 1655 or 1755 (lowe models) or a 1752 like you already have with a Tunnel hull, power tilt and trim, and power Hyd jack plate with a prop would get you the best of both worlds. Ability to run very shallow, albeit not as shallow as a jet, and still have the ability to run rough water and have the performance of the prop.

With all that said, The Lowe 1455SC with a Merc 40 or 65 jet would be an awesome rig.

Captain Ahab said:
Welcome :WELCOME: :WELCOME:

Please complete your profile so we know where you are hailing us from.

I have no real answer to your question but be patient and I am sure one of members has

Do you plan to use 2 separate engines (one jet drive and one with a prop?) and put them on and off as needed or hang both engines off teh transom at the same time?

Why the need for the prop if you have the jet?
reedjj said:
In a perfect world we would all have a boat for every type of condition.

It sounds like a pain in the butt to have to swap motors all the time. Plus you would still have to shell out cash for the most expensive part of a a boat...The Motor x2. You might be better off just building or buying a good used smaller jet rig already set up for those times when you wanna get in the skinny water. I would suggest a 1448 with a jet tiller.

As far as stability between the 1455 and the 1752goes. You shouldnt be able to tell the difference. They both have the exact same surface area. Total surface area (not width alone) is what makes a boat stable!

1455....14+55=69
1752....17+52=69
They are the same!

As for suggestions.... I would think that a boat about 1655 or 1755 (lowe models) or a 1752 like you already have with a Tunnel hull, power tilt and trim, and power Hyd jack plate with a prop would get you the best of both worlds. Ability to run very shallow, albeit not as shallow as a jet, and still have the ability to run rough water and have the performance of the prop.
With all that said, The Lowe 1455SC with a Merc 40 or 65 jet would be an awesome rig.

From the chicagoland area, however, ive been living in the florida keys, south florida area for the last 2 yrs. Probably moving back to chicago once the snow melts. My thought is to switch the motors back and forth as needed. The need for the prop comes in because a jet would be impractical for a lot of the fishing I do, the great lakes, Lake norfork, and a few other bigger bodies of water. I also have a few rivers that I fish, however, that a jet is really the way to go, the Menominee between Wi and the U.P., the Fox out of Winnebago, the upper Wisconsin river.
True, it is somewhat a hassle to switch, but, that would only happen a couple times a year. Would love to have 2 boats, but, realistically its not an option due to space. As far as the expense factor, looking at the cost to re-power my current rig(currently has a 92 evinrude 60 that I purchased as a rebuild in 2000) with a more current 70 hp, Im really not sure, but, doesnt seem a whole lot different one way or the other than to buy a decent used 25hp prop, and a used 30-40hp and convert this to a jet. In the end, im guessing the 2 motors + 1 jet conversion will cost a little more, but, probably not a huge difference over buying a newer 70 hp. Also, would love to have the bigger boat, but, Im thinking the bigger boat requires larger more expensive motor(s), which might put the whole project out of reach.
Thanks to you guys for your input, much appreciated

You can find a skinny jack plate and run a jet and a prop on your current rig.

You'd need to either buy a jet outboard and purchase a prop lower unit or buy a prop outboard and purchase a jet bottom.

Your jackplate will need at least 6-8 inches of vertical travel and you'll probably need to install a splash guard on your transom, since the jackplate will set your engine back a bit. The least amount of setback you can find is generally preferred.

The splash guard needs to be long/wide enough to direct the water from under the boat into the jet foot, with no gaps.

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=12364

From what I have read, it takes a little over an hour to swap out the two lowers, once you have some experience doing it.

https://www.outboardjets.com/faqs.php#26

I have never done the swap, or owned a boat under these circumstances, but when I move to Georgia, from Philly, that is pretty much my plan (so I've done a little research).

I don't know that this is optimal, but it gives you flexibility and you can keep your current rig.

I had a 1448 and I didn't particularly like it in heavy river current, but that's just me...

reedjj said:
1455....14+55=69
1752....17+52=69
They are the same!

[-X

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you need to multiply for the surface area.

1752 = 73.67 ft2
1455 = 64.17ft2

This is assuming the full area of 17' and 14', reality is there is not 17' of floor space on a 17' boat. You will lose stability when you switch to the 1455.

Ur right. Its not the formula for surface area.

An oldtimer I knew growing up gave me the the "guidline" of adding the width and the length to use as a kind of guide to help you when comparing boats. Its not any kind of surface area formula or anything like that.

If you own a boat like Plunc does (1752) he can use the way I was taught to give him a good idea of how another boat would compare when talking about stability or actual size of the boat. Its not exact science but its an easy way to make a quick comparison.

There are other things to factor too, like is it a Mod-V, V-hull, deep-V, or a true Flat.

When looking at the Lowe 1455 I noticed that it was really wide in the back (the widest pt is the transom) and got more and more skinny toward the front which will lead to less stability as well.

Another rule of thumb is "bigger is better"!

Welcome to the site.
Nice boat you have there.
I see your only going to fish the skinny water a few times a year and I think I seen great lakes/big bodies of water.
I personally would want to stick with the 17'er for those bigger bodies of water.
I wouldn't make plans to change a whole lot if I was only going to fish skinny waters a few times a year.

Latest posts