welded boat failure?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwkr

Reaction score
Does it happen? Has anyone heard of a weld breaking from rough waters? I get a pretty rough ride in my welded Gregor v hull sometimes, but I'm new to boating so have nothing to compare it too so I don't know if its normal or if I'm pushing it too hard.

While I wouldn't call it normal, it does happen.

A lot of it has to do with the design of the boat and how well thought out the structural bracing is.

as mentioned, not normal but can happen.

You got a weld that broke, or just concerned that something is gonna break?

3 or so welded ribs in the front of my boat broke loose and were in pretty bad shape, I am repairing/welding them back right now, Structurally it is built like a tank, but it was also made in 84 so somewhere along the line it has dealt with some pretty rough chop. i will be adding additional support up front there to help counter this. You can look as some pics in my build on my signature.

We have boats come in all the time that have welds that have broken. I happens. Just get it welded back and go fishing. Now if it breaks again , then there could be a more serious issue.

No, nothing has broken yet. The boat has no ribs, the reinforcement is built into the hull. A giant one piece hull with two sides and a transom welded on. Its good that no one has mentioned catastrophic failure yet! That's what I'm most worried about.
Now off to the lake to try out the new 15hp ;)

I wouldn't worry, when all is said and done, throw some flotation foam into your boat/build somehow, in the event there is some sort of failure enough counter sinking flotation should keep the boat from sinking to the bottom... a weld should be stronger than the strength of the initial material if welded correctly, usually the material will break around the weld, unless the welds are poor.

IMO 95% of the time, weld breaks, failures etc are dur to in proper welding to begin with. It is to often people get the materials either to hot, or not hot enough and welds fail. In the case of alum generally people dont get it clean enough, and it is not structurally sound.

Latest posts