Factory floor question/MYSTERY

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluegrasser

Reaction score
Hello all...

I have been dealing with a weird situation since I bought this boat 1+ months ago. It has a factory installed floor:
As you can see it's got quite an interesting hull shape:
IMG_0246.JPG

But the floor is flat:
IMG_0263.JPG

They are riveted panels of aluminum over... well, I don't know what they're sitting on top of.

They make a good bit of "crinkling" noise as I walk over them. That doesn't bother me eventually I'm going to have carpet on top.

HERE'S MY CONCERN:

A few weeks ago I filled the boat up with several inches of water, maybe even half a foot. I tested for leaks and found none. Great. However, it CONTINUES to drain water to the back of the boat - weeks later!!!

I've got it pitched real steep in the garage so that everything runs to the back.

If I were more paranoid I would swear someone is sneaking in and ADDING water each day. I have a towel in the back next to the drain to sop it up.

Assuming that I do not have some kind of miraculous water-producing boat, I am guessing that there is some kind of old foam or something under that floor that soaked up a crap load of water when I did my test and is still SLOWLY releasing it.

Is that a good guess?

What is my peril with this situation. I would hope that eventually it WILL dry out. I really don't want to open the pandoras box of pulling up that riveted floor. That's way beyond my skill set.

If the boat does not leak and I don't purposefully fill it full of water again. all that old foam (or whatever) should be ok. right?

Well, fire away with thoughts. Thanks!

Maybe that is part of the problem, try putting it in a shallow pond and let it sit for a little while to see if it takes on any water. It is not much of a problem if the water drains from top to the underside of the flooring, which is likely just some foam to keep it buoyant but also designed to stay afloat even when soaked with water.

The problem will come in if there are leaks from the underside while it is on the water.

There could be old flotation foam that is taking on water, or there could be debris under there clogging the draining routes causing it to drain slow. If you can get to where you can pull a little piece of the flooring up to try to get a look, you may be able to see what's going on a bit better.

Latest posts