which boat and how to do it?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

614-bass

Reaction score
Hey guys ive posted on here before but its been awhile. I mainly just lurk around a look and the boat mods. Anyway Right now i have a old like 64 or something 14ft semi-v with plywood decks, a cooler livewell and 1 large storage area. This boat has treated me well and i love it but i feel like its time to upgrade. First off i cant decide what boat to go with. Im fairly certain i want a 16 footer i was a dealer the other day and they had a lund 1648 T for around 1900 i believe and a yacht club trailer for 800, also i like the lowe roughnecks alot the R1655 T or R1655 SC. With the roughneck having the storage compartments built in would there be any way to carpet it? I would be powering whatever boat i get with a 9.9hp or maybe a 15hp with a 9.9 hood. Once ive got the boat ill be modding it. i would like to keep my weight down as much as possible to get as much speed out of is as i can. How expensive will aluminum be and would i be alright riveting it all down because neither i or my grandpa can weld (My grandpa helped me with my last mod so he'll probably be helping me out this time). Would i be adding much weight it i used wood bracing and thinner plywood because i used 3/4 inch ply last time without many supports and i didnt like how heavy it was. Im planning on getting the boat in about a month with mostly graduation money. then ill start a thread in the boat modification thread.

Anyway thanks in advance,
614-bass

I'm partial to Lund's but I might be biased. Before you jump into a purchase maybe look around for a used boat, you may be able to find something that already has some of the stuff you want for less money. I know around my place $2700 will get you a nice boat with trailer and motor if you look a little. I don't know where your neck of the woods is but here are couple quick examples. I'm not affiliated with any of these ads.

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/2224062793.html

https://detroit.craigslist.org/wyn/boa/2223819024.html

https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/boa/2223170562.html

As Crankworm said, don't overlook the used market. Don't know where you're located but odds are good you'll be able to locate a boat to your liking and save enough to get your mod started.

Very few people who go the aluminum bracing route weld it (at least here). Riveting will work just fine. Regarding aluminum vs wood. The advantage of aluminum isn't so much a weight savings as it is longevity. Structural aluminum isn't much lighter than a wooden 2x2. There was a thread here a couple months ago discussing this. Properly framed, it's my opinion that all you need for decking is 1/2 ply. I have it in my boat and it's rock solid.

But we're getting a little ahead of ourselves. Go find your boat, post some pictures so we know what we're working with and we'll be glad to help you get er put together.

BTW... update your profile with your location so we know what area of the country you live in. You never know when there's someone just down the road a ways. You wouldn't be the first person here to find a new fishing partner.

Latest posts