Tracker 1542 Live Well Idea!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

X53Gunner

Reaction score
Hey I have a crazy idea for the center seat live well as I believe along with a lot of people that it is way too small and not very usable. I'm thinking of figuring a way just to seal the seat around the edges (maybe epoxy etc) and just use the whole inside of the seat for the live well. Run the plumping with live-well pump and it would be a hell of a live-well. I'm just concerned about added weight with that much water. I figure it would hold at least 20 to 25 gals full. That under a full decking job would be really cool in my opinion, but I'd like to know what you guys think of it? Thanks guys for the opinions good or bad it don't matter.
Scott

If you could actually get it sealed, I think you would still have to worry about the metal flexing with the added weight of the water. You might need to brace it somehow, it just depends on the aluminum used.
If you applied the epoxy inside and out you might be able to get it sealed, but when riding on the waves you might break the epoxy and develop a leak.

Yep I wasn't thinking of that. I think it would flex way to much also after thinking about it. Oh well I'm just going to cut the hole bigger on top of the seat and weld up my own bigger aluminum box, plum that for a live-well pump and put a gravity level drain out the side of the boat, and use that i guess. Will post pics when done.
Scott

My 1436 has the entire width of the center bench as the livewell. There is an extra bottom welded to the walls, and the walls themselves in my case are riveted down like the rest of the benches. As for weight, I wouldn't worry about it since the entire thing will be on the water most of the time, and when not in the water it will be supported on the trailer for a short time until you drain it.

I've got a live well in my center seat, but its only about a 3rd of the length. I also haven't filled it up all of the way. Right now its self filling to the water level. I'm thinking it'll hold 2 maybe 3 decent fish and keep them in ok health or could be used for baitfish

I have a 1542 too. sealing the whole seat could be problematic as there are quite a few gaps, but I think it could be done. However, I am not sue that would be a good idea. The weight of the water in the tank would be a factor. Also, you would lose a lot of flotation. You would probably be better off to remove the existing well, sut a bigger access hatch in the bench and install a bigger tank.

That being said, I would like to see you try it!

If you could figure out a way to add an insert that slid right into the opening, but not too tight and insulated around it, I think it would be a great idea. Keep us posted if you figure this out.