Seat mount suggestions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjake

Reaction score
I would like to install the pin style boat seat mounts in my jon boat. I saw Caveman's ("Just my thinking" thread) idea of cutting a hole in the top and sliding two backer plates under the mount. This seems like a good idea but you cannot get a nut and washer under the plate.

The other idea I saw was bobberboy did something similar to his Tracker 1448 Grizzly. He cut an access port in the top of the bench and dug out the foam to get access to the bottom of the seat. Used a hatch to cover the hole. I like this even better so I can use one solid aluminum plbacker plate with bolts and lock washers, except I have an aversion to cutting big holes in the seat if it makes it structurally unsound. Could I do something like this in the back of the bench using an 8" round access port or would this make the bench too weak?

I have a 1992 Lowe 1652 if that helps. I am open to ideas and suggestions.
Thank you

What I did was cut a piece of plywood. screwed it down to the bench, carpeted it and scewd the plate on top of the plywood. It holds great and I don't need to put a bold through the underside. also, it looks great.

CountryRoad said:
What I did was cut a piece of plywood. screwed it down to the bench, carpeted it and scewd the plate on top of the plywood. It holds great and I don't need to put a bold through the underside. also, it looks great.
Does screwing plywood straight to your benches really work? What kind of screws would you use? I see a lot of people say that's how they do it. I would think over time the screws would loosen up. I figured toggle bolts would be the way to go.

CountryRoad said:

I did this same thing.

I attached carpeted 1/2" plywood to the bench using Deck Mate Evercoat screws, available at Lowe's and Home Depot, to attach the plywood to the bench, then drilled out the hole for the seat mount through the plywood and aluminum. I screwed the mount down with stainless steel screws. It's been over three years and I've yet to have a screw back out on me. Ignore the goofy white nonconductive board in the picture and the hockey stick shaft. :wink:

wire_mount.jpg

It's amazing how difficult it is to find picture of how these seats mounts have been installed. I suppose everyone is focused on completing the project and forgets to take pictures along the way. Anyways, these are pictures from the Caveman's Jon Boat Mod. I like the clean look and creativitly of the rivets to hold the backer plate of the installed mounts and this is what I would like to do; if it is still holding up well. The question is still on the table, should I cut a hole in the side of the bench seat and using a 6" access port to plug it, this would allow me to get a washer and lock nut behind the aluminum backer plate. Rather than use self tapping screws into the backer plate.

Butthead - Not sure why but I could not see the picture of your install until just now. It does look good and secure.

Attachments

• 009.JPG
    009.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 601
  • 018.JPG
    018.JPG
    29.7 KB · Views: 601
  • 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    39.5 KB · Views: 601

Latest posts