Need advice! Built in cooler installation?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mooker5000

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum and I am completely new to the boating project scene. I just bought a standard 12' jon boat that has the 2 beams/seats running across it. Is it possible to cut out the top of the middle seatand put a lid on it? it would need to be insulated. Also, any ideas as far as draining water from it?

Any ideas/input would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for my lack of knowledge and asking what may be a stupid question.

Welcome, thanks for joining. No quetion is a stupid question. Chances are there is foam underneath that seat for safety reasons. The amount pf time andeffort to fabicate something like that while possible is not worth it in my opinion.

I peronally would get a cooler and a "fish saver" sytem for it, and then you will have a killer, removable when not needed cooler/livewell.

Jim said:
Welcome, thanks for joining. No quetion is a stupid question. Chances are there is foam underneath that seat for safety reasons. The amount pf time andeffort to fabicate something like that while possible is not worth it in my opinion.

I peronally would get a cooler and a "fish saver" sytem for it, and then you will have a killer, removable when not needed cooler/livewell.

ditto

Thanks for the advice. Being as stubborn as I am I'm still looking for a way to do it. I got a chance to look through some posts and saw a picture of Froggy's boat that caught my eye. Would doing something like that be feasible or safe?

Attachments

• 100_6671.jpg
    100_6671.jpg
    871 KB · Views: 406
It's obviously feasible.
Safety issue is up to you. I removed every bit of foam in my boat for storage purposes. If it sinks one day then so be it but I don't see it happening since i'm pretty safe.
You could probably leave foam on the sides and insert some type of cooler in the middle.
Do you want an ice chest or a livewell?

Whoopbass said:
It's obviously feasible.
Safety issue is up to you. I removed every bit of foam in my boat for storage purposes. If it sinks one day then so be it but I don't see it happening since i'm pretty safe.
You could probably leave foam on the sides and insert some type of cooler in the middle.
Do you want an ice chest or a livewell?
Thinking more along the lines of an ice chest for beverages.. but also not sure about drainage