What are you guys mixing your steelflex in?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fireshadow

Reaction score
I am getting ready to put down some steelflex this weekend and was wondering what you guys were using to mix up your steelflex in. I was thinking of premesuring out about 4oz of each part to make it a little easer. Just not sure what to put it in to mix and pour.

I was at the dollar store and saw cheap plastic kitchen measuring cups. I snagged about 4 of them and used those to mix in. It worked great as the measuring markers made it easy to mix the right amount of epoxy and hardener together.

I went to the dollar store and bought multiple spatulas and ladles. I then bought 3 paint mixing buckets from lowes. I used the ladles to transfer the parts into the measuring bucket. When I had equal parts I used the spatulas to transfer those parts into the other bucket. I then used the paint mixer in the drill to mix everything together. If you are using a pigment go ahead and mix the pigment into the green part before you mix the two parts together. I was able to mix about 8oz of each at a time. A spreader like used to apply bondo will help spread the mixture around the hull, then you want to use a mo-hair roller to even everything out.

Have fun!!

moberg12 said:
I went to the dollar store and bought multiple spatulas and ladles. I then bought 3 paint mixing buckets from lowes. I used the ladles to transfer the parts into the measuring bucket. When I had equal parts I used the spatulas to transfer those parts into the other bucket. I then used the paint mixer in the drill to mix everything together. If you are using a pigment go ahead and mix the pigment into the green part before you mix the two parts together. I was able to mix about 8oz of each at a time. A spreader like used to apply bondo will help spread the mixture around the hull, then you want to use a mo-hair roller to even everything out.

Have fun!!

I was thinking a putty knife would work too.

sixshootertexan said:
moberg12 said:

Have fun!!

I was thinking a putty knife would work too.

A putty knife is pretty narrow!! The spreader I'm referring to is about 4 inches wide. I didn't use one when I applied my steelflex but someone brought it up a couple weeks ago and I wish I would have thought of it!!

OP The smaller buckets are best for measuring the parts, they will have better measuring marks on them. When you transfer the parts to the mixing bucket make sure you use the same side of the bucket to pour each time. This will keep the measuring marks clear on the other side of the bucket

I got my bondo spreaders already. I made a mixer like yours perching thanks for that idea. Looks like I'll get some mixing buckets I think I saw them cheaper at walmart than at lowes. I have fome rollers. Was thinking of getting a moe hair but is this nessary or will the fome ones work after spreading with the bondo spreaders. Also does lacer thiner or assitone work to clean up after this stuff, was thinking I'd something to soke the spreader and mixer in-between. Thanks for all the help guys.

A lot of guys have used foam rollers, but they don't last very long. You will end up going through quite a few of them. I used a mo-hair roller and didn't have to replace it once. You're pretty much gonna have to trash anything that touches steelflex. By the time you finish the first coat it will be time to start applying the second coat. When you are done the buckets, rollers, spatulas, ladles and spreaders are best just pitched in the bin.