New Here: Which Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pacepace

Reaction score
Hey i am new here i am about to buy my first jon boat. I was wondering from yalls experience which would be the best out of alumacraft, tracker, and lowe. I will be buying a riveted jon boat because i am a college student and do not have enough to buy a better one. I plan on getting a 14ft one and just one that will hold up the best. I plan on eventually installing a 2.5 to 3.5 hp mercury motor on it. Thanks for the help.

Any of the three boats you mentioned will serve you well. All good from the ones I have had..the suggestion to go as large as you can for a bottom dim. is the wisest suggestion you can get.
Good Luck and welcome aboard
peace
ron

I bought a Polar Kraft 1468LW last year. It was a new boat built in 2007 and had been sitting at the dealers. It has a couple scuff in the paint. It was the perfect size for me. the floor is 48'' wide. I put a floor in it and amnm wireing it. You can usually get a left over boat pretty cheap at a dealers.

It's a rivited boat and seems built pretty heavy. Todd

Wider is better. I have a Tracker 1542 which is plenty stable. There are numerous guys on here who on 1436's that can advise you. Tracker boats are reasonable quality for the money. I think Lowe and Alumacraft are better built boats, but more expensive.

i figure since i am getting a riveted boat i will get a new one instead of used. I am in Ga. I went to look at the alumacraft and they did not look at good in quality as tracker and the lowe brand i am going to have to travel about 2 hours to go look at so i may just by a tracker. I plan on putting a floor in, where is a place where i can get marine grade plywood and get the carpet. I have seen a place online for carpet but rather go pick up in person instead of shipping.

Go wide as you can, but in a small jon boat I would suggest perforated aluminum in the floor and no carpet. Wouldn't ever have to worry about replacing it and it would be a bunch lighter in weight. Just stick a water hose in it to clean it and be done and the flat aluminum floor you can still walk around.

Of those three Lowe would be an easy choice for me followed by Alumacraft and lastly Tracker. The low has heavier gauge hull, higher max hp rating, higher capacity, wider beam, and more ribs.

you should add G3 to the list as well. And keep the riveted tracker at the bottom of the list. I like the welded trackers but them toppers not so much.

Welcome aboard fellow Georgian. When you get a chance, update your profile so folks will know where you're from.

Since you're thinking about a new tin, I've heard lots of good things about Weldbuilt boats in AL from guys here in GA. They're welded boats (as the name would apply) but seem to offer alot of boat for the money.

Here's the site: https://www.backwoodslanding.com/

bcritch said:
I went from a 1236 G3 to a 1448 G3. What a big difference.
The 1448 G3 is an excellent choice, its roomy and very stable. I would also consider looking used, you could find something already modified. Good luck.

Check out the Tracker Grizzly also.

i figure since i am getting a riveted boat i will get a new one instead of used

There are a ton of great boats that are used. I can't tell you what to do, but I can tell you that you'll get a lot more boat with your money if you look at used and find the right deal. They're out there for sure. I always want the best I can get with my money...and used is always an option.

I too would look for something at least 48" wide.

Latest posts