1432 vs 1242 stability

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Incahiker

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently have a 1232 Lowe Jon boat. When I go by myself I am fine in the boat, but if put my dog or someone else in the boat it gets a little tippy, not to the point to where I think I am going to fall out, but it does get annoying having to counter act the other person in the front of the boat. I have a 4 hp 2 stroke mercury pushing the 1432 and it pushes it great. Just curious, is a 1242 jon boat going to be much more stable, or even a 1436? Will I need to jump up an aditional 10" to find more stability or will 4 inches do? Sounds like your not gaining a lot with 4 inches.

Also, would the 4hp 2 stroke push a 1242 as fast as a 1432, or would I be giving up a lot of speed for stability? The 1242 I am thinking about buying is welded and weighs around 200 lbs. I think the 1432 I have right now weighs around 125 - 150 lbs. Will a 36" bottom be much more stable then a 32" bottom?

Thanks

I would think the heavier wider 1242 will be more stable.
I also think the narrower lighter 1432 will be faster with your motor.

I concur with PartsMan. The slender, lighter boat will be faster. A 36" bottom width will be more stable than the 32". But you're still going to have to deal with some counter-balancing when fishing two. A 48"+ bottom width boat would fix that, but you're really going to be slow with a 4hp OB.

My tin is a 1240V & I find it very stable.With me by myself I cannot tip it if I lean over the side.I have already steped on the top of the gunnels when at the dock with not too much problems.

Latest posts