Styrofoam replacement ?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loneoak

Reaction score
I'm redoing the transom on my tracker (rotted wood). When i got the cap off, I could see that the foam was holding water. I cut some of it away and would like to replace it. Not sure with what. Checked at Lowes and Home Depot and was thinking about that 2 inch thick stuff that comes in sheets 4x8 but it's $30 a sheet....OUCH. I could use Great foam cheaper but not sure if it would have as much or more floating ability.

I only need about 1 foot by 1 foot on each side

anyone with a suggestion?

so when i pulled off the main and bow decking (wood) there was foam panels between the ribs??? it was soaked and heavy as heck holding water? is this for floatation if the boat sinks or is it for noise? or to absorb bildge water that leaks or splashes on floor or from rain? plz advise
thanks

What about the white polystyrene CelloFoam Poly Panelthey sell at Home Depot for about $7 that's for basement insulation? It's like styrofoam cup material, 3/4" thick and about 4'x14" in size, and comes in a pack of 6? I read that with constant water exposure it will absorb water, but if it only sees a little bit, will that be okay?

Butthead, Lol,

That is exaclty what I used. I used gorilla glue to attach them 2 high and they were almost perfectly level with the ribs on the bottom of my boat. I had heard about the pink closed cell foam and was looking for it at HD. I couldn't find anything that said "closed cell" on it anywhere. I found the foam boards and they said they were for indoor or outdoor use and that they were moisture resistant so I bought them.

I did spray them with a coat of the same spar urethan I used to seal my plywood so I hope they hold up for a while.

I asked a boat mech about it and he said as long as I keep the plug out while storing it and dont let the boat fill with rainwater and stay submerged for days on end (I never planned on that anyway) I would be fine for years.

I built my floor to come out easy so it wont be hard to replace it if I need to in a year or so anyway.

With all that said.... Had I known better, I would have bought the pink closed cell stuff the first time. If I ever do have to replace it I will use it the next time around.

Attachments

• IMG-20110118-00010.jpg
    IMG-20110118-00010.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 647
loanoak,

When you get a minute, update your profile with your location. If you're close to me (In GA), I've got some leftover you can have.

Latest posts