Raise the transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucescoflathead

Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a nice low hour 9.9 Evinrude. It has the kit installed to make it a long shaft. My boat needs a 15 inch shaft motor. Can anyone post a picture of how they raised their transom? Thanks Todd

Just use a mini-jack plate, you should have no problem.
https://www.bobsmachine.com/Products/jackplate_mini-MMJ.cfm

or https://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&rlz=1G1GGLQ_ENUS403&q=mini+jack+plate&u

I built mine. I saw the free plans that used to be online from dilon racing he now charges 5 bucks for the plans. I didn't follow his plans but thats where I got my ideas from.
this guy follows the plans good how to
https://forums.capmel.com/post?id=4623282
this is mine I made
morestuff249.jpg

morestuff250.jpg

morestuff251.jpg

the bolts are the most expensive part I have probably less than 20 bucks into mine.

Thanks for the replies. I found some plans to build a jack plate so I may give that a try. As for removing the kit, I don't know. I've never had one apart that had the kit installed. I don't know if you need a shorter shaft or if there was some type of extension put on the drive shaft to make it longer.

I built my own Jackplate here at work but I did not like the way it preformed.

It felt worse than just having the longshaft on my boat. and felt like it was draggin the rear into the water. Is that the way it should feel???

It made me feel uneasy and unsafe. Just my thoughts.

jbakerinc said:
...I did not like the way it preformed.

It felt worse than just having the longshaft on my boat. and felt like it was draggin the rear into the water. Is that the way it should feel???...

No, it should perform better and make it feel as though there is less drag on the boat. I put a 6" riser on mine which made the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat. I ended up gaining speed, had a better hole shot, and there was a lot less drag. In all, it felt much smoother. Before you discount your jack plate, you might try setting the motor at a different angle. I know I had to adjust mine a couple of times before I got it where I wanted it.

I've added a home made jack plate to my boat, it's on page three on the link to my build. The motor is a short shaft, but the cav plate was still 3" low. Not a major raise and I didn't add much setback, so far so good.

clarkbre said:
jbakerinc said:
...I did not like the way it preformed.

It felt worse than just having the longshaft on my boat. and felt like it was draggin the rear into the water. Is that the way it should feel???...

No, it should perform better and make it feel as though there is less drag on the boat. I put a 6" riser on mine which made the cavitation plate level with the bottom of the boat. I ended up gaining speed, had a better hole shot, and there was a lot less drag. In all, it felt much smoother. Before you discount your jack plate, you might try setting the motor at a different angle. I know I had to adjust mine a couple of times before I got it where I wanted it.

I will have to build another with an adjustable hight. The former was welded to the spec. of the "Mini Jacker"

It just felt unsafe really. I was worried about swamping it. I should have tried the different angle before I got rid of it. I will try again..lol maybe a more right angle from the transom would have helped. That would be the correct adjustment correct??

I thought about adding aftermarket jack plates, etc. I have seen people fabricate their own. I bought a long shaft 40hp Mercury to go on my short shaft boat.

I have no experience with metal work. Also, my transom design seemed to be ready-made for adding height.

You can see what I did starting about February 12, 2011 post: https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=17121

just another option.

To make your motor a short shaft is real easy.All you need to buy is a short drive shaft.The old drive shaft pulls out & put new one in.Remove extension spacer,shorten your shift shaft & water tube & you'll be good to go.I have done many.

By putting a jack-plate on your boat it will bring the center of gravity higher making your boat less stable.

Drive shafts run from $50 to 85 around my neck of the woods.

Ictalurus said:
jbakerinc said:
felt like it was draggin the rear into the water

Clarkbre, could this be caused by too much setback on the jackplate?

Below is a pic of how mine is set up on my boat. The setback on the one I designed follows the natural angle of the transom. So, if my boat had a 20” transom that is where the motor would attach. I looked at some that had a few inches of setback and didn’t like them. I didn’t need to motor away from the transom; I just needed it higher up. I’m not exactly sure what a setback would do and at what height your motor should be for X inches setback. When I designed mine, I kept it simple. The result was I had 6” less motor in the water. That was 6” less drag, put the prop closer to the bottom of the boat, and didn’t create the bow lift leverage that it did previously.

DSC_0121.jpg

lucescoflathead said:
Thanks for the replies. I found some plans to build a jack plate so I may give that a try. As for removing the kit, I don't know. I've never had one apart that had the kit installed. I don't know if you need a shorter shaft or if there was some type of extension put on the drive shaft to make it longer.
Ask on www.iboats.com

I'm going to raise the transom. Someday I'd like to find a like new 25 HP 2 stroke jet and I would need to raise the transom for that. May as well do it now. I bought some aluminum angle and I'm going to build a jack plate. Thanks for all the suggestions.Todd

lucescoflathead said:
I'm going to raise the transom. Someday I'd like to find a like new 25 HP 2 stroke jet and I would need to raise the transom for that. May as well do it now. I bought some aluminum angle and I'm going to build a jack plate. Thanks for all the suggestions.Todd
Pictures and cost please.