New member-First project-Help getting started please!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

feelincrappie

Reaction score
Hey everyone this is my first post. Just wanted to say how cool i think this site is and i can't wait to start my first boat. I will soon be acquiring a 12 ft flat bottom sears jon boat from my cousin. I am new to boats and not the most experienced fisherman/waterfowler in the world but i've fallen in love with both and i'm getting more serious about both. I have big plans for this little boat including a casting deck from the front to to middle benches, a pedestal seat on the deck, lights, possible livewell in the middle bench, and a camo paint job.

I guess this first post is asking where i should start and the materials i need. i was thinking about starting with the casting deck since its a little cold to start painting. I will probably add a similar post when i get around to electrical and motors (don't have one yet) etc. Any suggestions would be a huge help! I've already learned a ton just from looking around the site for a few weeks but you can never have too much input!

Thanks

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 442
  • Model.jpg
    Model.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 442
You can always get started on the flooring while it's cold.
Suggestions from me are.....Foam boards under plywood floor. the foam helps to support the plywood floor between the ribs. Put at least 2 coats of spar urethane on all sides especially the edges where it's more succptable to water entering the wood. Either carpet, paint, or your favorite bedliner on the flooring. Make it so it can all pull out for cleaning.

Mount a drivers seat on the rear bench, and another seat on the middle bench for a passenger/girl/ buddy.

find a nice used 5-8 hp tiller motor. Briggs and stratton makes a nice cheap little air cooled 5hp 4 stroke if you want a new motor on a budget. Some manufacturers even offer small outboards with the gas tank integrated into the motor itself. I think Tohatsu and Merc do for sure.

I personally would NOT deck the front to the middle bench. A lot of guys do on 12' boats though.

I would just go with decking the floor and fish from a seat mounted to the existing benches. If you wanna fish from the front of the boat does a deck thats raised 1 foot really do anything for you besides add weight and make it more tipsy if your standing up on the deck. If you wanna stand just stand on the floor. This would leave more floor room for a cooler type portable live well, gear, whatever.

Before you get started with that you could also sand it down or strip the old paint off. A wire wheel will make quick work of it.

There is a lot of stuff you can do as I am sure you have seen on here. Welcome and good luck. Keep the pics coming while your working on it.

reed

Latest posts