12ft mirrocraft question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
i have a 1979 mirrocraft resort vhull boat and was wondering if i take the middle bench seat out would i have to put some sort of other support in the boat or will it be fine. i have a 10 horse evinrude on it, if that is any need info for you to help me, i plan on putting a floor in it if i can take the seat out. i will take any advice also thanks
i421wn.jpg

Just from looking at it, I'd say definently put some sort of support back in it. The middle bench seat helps steady the middl/upper sides along with those support brackets on top of the seats.

So, with that covered, how do you still create the needed support? Here's a couple ideas:

1. Make a walk through bench seat. Build a bench that sits in the stock seat mounts and has the center 18" or so removed. This works ok but still leaves somewhat of a "seat" in that area.

2. Build small storage compartments that contour the sides and fit between the back of the front bench and the front of the back bench. Most people who build this set up are after wide open floors and use the small/long compartments for rod storage.

With a boat like yours, I'd go for option # 2. This does limit you to only 2 fishermen in the boat but the open space is very nice.

clarkbre,

just wondering on your option two how that helps with support though i was wanting to do that but didn't know how that helped with any support.

diabetik11 said:
clarkbre,

just wondering on your option two how that helps with support though i was wanting to do that but didn't know how that helped with any support.

By building a wood structure that runs along the inside of the boat, it stiffens the sides just like a bench seat across the middle would. The wood doesn't allow the metal to flex in like it would if it wasn't supported.

Check out this guys thread. He did a great job and created a ton of floor space in his boat. It turned out awesome:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10823&start=25

Latest posts