Newbie from Indiana

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Outdoorsman

Reaction score
Hey guys, great site. Last year I fished from a modified 16' flatbottom jon boat and just fell in love with it. I've been searching for a 15' or 16' boat to work on. Came across this site from another forum and have seen some of the builds, I must say =D> Just viewing them gets me pumped for mine once I can find one. So just wanted to say hi and glad to be here.

Welcome and good luck finding THE boat for you.

WARNING-This is an addictive hobby.

Welcome aboard and welcome to the family. You have tons if info here that can/will help with your build. All provided by the best family friendly people you can find. Start reading and get ready for your test in 1 week. That should be enough time to read everything, don't you think??? :LOL2:

Seriously...happy to have you aboard!

Welcome,

Where in IN are you from and where do you plan using your project boat. Im originally from Celina, OH. Only about 30 min from Decatur.

Incidentally Decatur (a member) is from Indiana too. Decatur In.

reedjj said:
Welcome,

Where in IN are you from and where do you plan using your project boat. Im originally from Celina, OH. Only about 30 min from Decatur.

Incidentally Decatur (a member) is from Indiana too. Decatur In.

Thanks everyone, glad to be here, hoping to find a boat and start a build and put pics up of it.

I live on the southside of Indianapolis close to Greenwood. I plan on using my boat at a handful of places, and maybe more, just depends on what motor I can come across for it. Dogwood, Delaney, Glenn Flint, Eagle Creek, Strip Pits @ Linton, and Fall Creek are my first choices and if I come across a good hp motor, may take it to Geist, Brookville, Lemon, or even Newton Lake (Illinois powerplant lake). I first have to find the boat, would love to come across one for free but just not finding them yet. :evil:

Fender66: Im ready for the test! :D Been checking out the site for about a week and looking at the builds and I just had to join. Everyone is very helpful and knowledgable here.

Post a wanted ad on Craigslist. That is how I bought mine.

Be clear about what you want.

I posted wtb 16-18ft aluminum boat. No motor is fine, junk interior is fine. Hull must be in good condition with no dings and scrapes.

I had a few offers actually. The one I bought was the first offer. Came in like a day or two after posting the want ad.

LonLB said:

I posted wtb 16-18ft aluminum boat. No motor is fine, junk interior is fine. Hull must be in good condition with no dings and scrapes.

I had a few offers actually. The one I bought was the first offer. Came in like a day or two after posting the want ad.

More good advice from members.....Wow....how much better can it possibly get! I love this place. =D>

fender66 said:
LonLB said:

More good advice from members.....Wow....how much better can it possibly get! I love this place. =D>

Yeah I agree, the members here are great. Thanks LonLB, I'll give that a shot as well.

Newbie here to! And I am from Indiana too. I live in Greenwood. Just bought a Aerocraft 12 flat bottom jon Saturday. I am planning to refurbish it and use it for bass fishing. So any advice is welcome, and if anyone wants a fishing partner let me know. Here is my boat. Wil
008-2.jpg

LonLB said:

Welcome aboard. This is how I got mine. Posted I wanted to trade a pickup for a boat & I got mine. Like has already been said, this is addictive. Good luck in your search.

Welcome Newbie from Indiana! Craigslist is your friend. I bought mine in January as a bit of a project with boat, trailer and motor all needing some TLC, but for $650 that is expected. A wider bottom give you more stability and options. Be patient and you'll find it.

davehopper8 said:
Hello fellow Indiana brother I'm close to Chicago where ya from

In Greenwood (well a few blocks north of it actually)

Oldgeek: Yeah thats the hardest part for me, being patient. My fiance's brother-in-law knows of a boat but not sure of length, thinks its 14' and would possibly free, thinking of biting the bullet and just getting it if free and modding it and fishing from it and either keep it and continue the search for the 16' or sell it and use money to buy a 16'. But at the same time, I feel like I should hold out for a 16' and sink my money into it for modding. Grrrrrr, I hate these decisions. lol

swampthing111 said:
Newbie here to! And I am from Indiana too. I live in Greenwood. Just bought a Aerocraft 12 flat bottom jon Saturday. I am planning to refurbish it and use it for bass fishing. So any advice is welcome, and if anyone wants a fishing partner let me know. Here is my boat. Wil
008-2.jpg

Nice boat Swampthing. Should be a fun project to work on.

from columbus here...we are working on a 16' mod now..check it out under "16' 0uwcita mod 3 guys with some beer"..all i have left to get is the paint & carpet the we can put it all together..told my buds that im kinda getting sad cause we are almost finished..we sure have had a great time during the mod

Welcome "The Outdoorsman!" I'm a newbie from Indiana too. I live down in Greene County between Jasonville and Linton. Lots of good fishing around here.

Here's what I found on craigslist a while back;

16ft JOHN BOAT AND TRAILER WITH 1986 EVINRUDE MOTOR THAT RUNS GREAT, HAS STICK STEERING, 40lbs MINN KOTA FOOT CONTROLLED TROLLING MOTOR, FRONT AND REAR RUNNING LIGHTS, LIVE WELL, 4 ROD HOLDERS FOR TROLLING, NEW PARTS LAST YEAR, DEEP CYCLE TROLLING BATTERY, ALL NEW GREEN CARPET, NEW CAMO SEATS, NEW TRAILER LIGHTS, NEW RIMS AND TIRES, NEW PROP FOR MOTOR WHICH WAS $156.00, NEW FLOOR, NEW CASTING DECK, BOAT RUNS GREAT, COULD USE A LITTLE PAINT. MT WASHINGTON, KY $800.00
newbbboat.jpg

I called the guy and ended up driving down to Kentucky that night to pick it up. :LOL2:
The wood in the transom is starting to rot, so I'm replacing that and adding a fish finder this week and she'll be ready to go. I've never had a boat with "stick" steering before, so I'm chomping at the bit to try it out. Here's a little "sneak peak" at 'er. :mrgreen:
boatflame2.jpg

Hey Outdoorsman. I'm a little late here responding cause I've spent all my time in the mod section. Anyway, glad to have you aboard. I'm on the southside by GWood too. I'm over by Stop 11 and 37.

Latest posts