Prime but not paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtnwkr

Reaction score
So I want to paint the inside of my boat, the paint is about half there and half worn off. I was thinking of just using the self etching primer but not painting over it afterwards. Has anyone done this? Would there be any drawbacks to doing it this way? If I were to paint over it I'd be spraying a flat grey or green anyways, so why bother?

Anyone know where to find green or blue self etching primer?
Thanks!

Great question, I do not know the answer, but I do have an idea. The primer may not have the same protective properties as an oil based paint, maybe more of an adhesive quality. Since you are painting an aluminum, probably not a problem. I would top the primer on wood though.

I am planning on trying this myself. I plan on buying my self etch primer from Wal-Mart in the spray cans, it is a good camo green color. What does it hurt, we can always touch it up or paint over it later.

Flintcreek

Yeah, that's what I bought, the walmart primer. I hope three cans is enough to get good coverage. Most of the old paint is still on the boat and I'm not too worried about the bottom as I plan to carpet it. I got everything stripped down, sanded and washed. Just waiting for a sunny day to get some painting done. In the mean time I'll be carpeting my bench seats and mounting my new FF.

Latest posts