Finding a free boat question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Outdoorsman

Reaction score
Ok, this is going to sound like an odd question, but how do guys find the boats that look like they been sitting around since the 50's and get them for free? I've looked in Craigs List, ebay, and even the local paper. Are there certain places to look for one, do you just knock on doors if you see one that looks like it hasnt been used, is it just word of mouth from friends/family? Im trying to keep my cost down so I can put my money in my decks/carpet/wood/electronics and possible motor, and most importantly, keep the fiance' happy. :mrgreen: Im just looking for a good starting place for my hunt to find my boat. I've been keeping my eyes open to and from work but all I see are ones that obviously people dont want to get rid of. Im willing to spend some money but we all know, free is better if possible. Thanks in advance for any insight or help.

Driving around is the way I usually find them. Just sitting on someones property forever growing stuff from them. Then we just ask. Most of the time they are happy to get rid of the "eye soar".

Mine was sitting in my partner's dad's cousin's backyard and he was moving. It cost me $200 in trailer parts just to get it from Colorado to Minnesota. That's of course just the beginning, but at least I got the boat and motor for essentially nothing. Maybe get the word out to your circle of family and friends and maybe with all those eyes and ears alerted you may find something. If you check in with CL frequently you can find good stuff. You do have to check often though and act fast when you see something. I just missed a drum set the other day that within an hour was listed and sold. It was at a pawn shop and they didn't know what they had. I could have turned it over for about $400 by doing nothing but getting it and selling it again.

You develop an eye for them...I keep seeing this Starcraft aluminum with no motor sitting in a yard. It must be 16-18....When I drive by it I'm doing at least 60mph.

Another, is an older Starcraft Jet. I stopped and checked on that one, and the guy seemed like he really wanted to get rid of it but never called back.

I see them all over, now that I already have one. :p

I've started to look in Ohio, Kentucky, and Illinois and hope its close to the boarder. I check CL everyday and I have started to get the word out to some family to keep their eyes open. Bad thing about this, Im getting antsy bad! lol I dont what has me more excited, actually working on the project or fishing from the finished product! :D

Go to BINGO halls and hang around with some old people. My bet is that 7 out of 10 of them have an old boat in their backayard they would like to give away! :LOL2:

Go to a senior center and make some friends. You might have to take them fishing a few times but they will appreciate the time on the water.

Keep your eye on CL, and get the word out that you are looking for a cheap boat. I waited for a year and a half to find the right deal (cheap). Talk to older sportsmen, my brother found mine at a garage sale, he called me and sat there waiting with his kids while I got money and made it out there. I ended up getting it from a older guy that just couldnt launch and recover it by himself anymore, great guy just wanted it to go to a good home after years of service. Boat, trailer, 15hp motor, seat and original oars for $375.00 I really couldnt pass on it.

Driving around and doorknocking is a good idea. I would also post an add on craigslist stating your looking for an old fixer upper from free to cheap. People around here know what they have and if they are giving it away its probably not worth the hassle. Depending on your situation Id spend the loot to get the best you can then fish and save up till you can mod it. You don't need all the fancy stuff to catch fish. Getting a boat thats full of leaks and damage, youll end up spending money trying to just get it fishable let alone modding. Its your choice though. Good luck.

Take a boat ride on a lake nearby, usually there is a ton of old boats on the shore rotting away. Stop and ask the folks, if they live on the lake, usually they dont mind giving away a 20 dollar eyesore.

i would post an ad on cl. iactually have a beat up 12 ft. sitting in my buddys back yard,and dont know what to do with it. its a little too beat up for me.

Latest posts