Placement of battery

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Encoreman

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a '78 Terry 15'4"-42" this was originally a bass boat with side console seated on livewell. This boat is now completely void of all wood decks, floors etc. I want to deck the front and just put a pedestal on rear mounted low to floor. The question I have is with a foot controlled tm, no outboard, will it really matter if I put the battery up front? I fish by myself at times and just don't want to get too much weight on the bow. What do ya'll think? Thanks Mac

Just take one thing into consideration...

It's all about balance.

If you're in the front of the boat on a casting deck or something, I'd lean towards putting the battery in the rear of the boat. Put it as low as you can along the centerline of the boat and that will help with a lower center of gravity and weight distribution. And, if you ever take a friend along, he/she can sit in the rear of the boat and it still will be fairly balanced.

Another thing to think about is if you want to conceal it or not. I built a front compartment in my boat and ended up putting the battery there. It is so nice to have it off the floor and out of the way. Maybe think about modifying the rear seat to accept a battery.

I built a deck on my 1442, and planned on mounting my battery up there. BUT! when i tested it, it seemed to lean a little much so i ended up mounting the battery in the rear. but the lean was caused by the gas tank and battery being on opposite sides. Maybe being an elctric rig you wont have that problem though!

I am now wondering if I should build the front deck and mount the TM and the put it in the water and move the battery from front to rear. I know with my old 12' john it needed weight at the rear, but this boat is much heavier and longer. Thanks for any ideas. Mac