boat painting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
do i really need to sand all the paint off the boat to paint it or can i sand it just enough to scruff it up and make the paint stick, do i even need to sand it? i am thinking of parkers boat paint but do i need to prime it also. any help will be great.

Lightly sand the existing paint and remove any loose or flaking paint. You only need to prime areas of bare aluminum.

Whatever you do, it's all in the prep. I'd sand it, wipe it down, etch prime, paint, light sand, paint coat 2. If steel flexing, sand it and apply steel flex directly without priming. For mine it took way more time to sand it, remove stickers, clean,etc than it did to prime and paint.

i have good one for y'all..we have my boat down to bare alum. I will be doing some light sanding then wash / wipe it down with self ech primer, then light sand that...here is the question..i can roll on or us a sprayer for the final base coat of paint. i will be doing a pin stripe in blue metal flake with just a spray can. but as far as the base coat of gray I dont know what i want to do..i know if i roll i will have "tip" after i roll so it looks good..what have you guys done and how did it work out for you???

bnseymour said:
i have good one for y'all..we have my boat down to bare alum. I will be doing some light sanding then wash / wipe it down with self ech primer, then light sand that...here is the question..i can roll on or us a sprayer for the final base coat of paint. i will be doing a pin stripe in blue metal flake with just a spray can. but as far as the base coat of gray I dont know what i want to do..i know if i roll i will have "tip" after i roll so it looks good..what have you guys done and how did it work out for you???

Its personal preference, but me, I'd spray it.