transducers throwing water in boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T-MAN

Reaction score
I have a lowarance and a humminbird transducer mounted on the transom of my boat. When im anywhere from 3/4 to full throttle water starts shooting up my transom and into my boat ive tried sliding it up the transom and that helped some but i still have a pretty fair amount of water entering my boat. I have thought about bending a piece of aluminum in a 90 degree angle and attaching it in the existing holes right between the transducers and my boat and then having the bend at the top where it comes out over my transducers. Will this work. Does anyone have anymore ideas. Thanks.

How are they mounted? Sorry to sound stupied but I just cant figure for the life of me how they would throw up water up like that. That might work the small piece of aluminum bent in a L ideal. Is the transducer a skimmer?

I had the same problem,this is what I did.
I mounted mine on a plate with slots that I can raise or lower my transducer.The holes are at the top of my transom so I didn't have to put any holes below the water line.The plate is held on by (2) 1/4" bolts with wing nuts.
I found the right height by adjustment so water stopped coming in.

Crazymans ideal would work best, If your luck is anything like mine you would hit something with the transducer and it would kick back and hit the aluminum angle and break. The transducer should be mounted between the ribs and a foot away from the lower unit. And the bottom of it should be just below the hull. Best of luck

Pruitt1222 said:
How are they mounted? Sorry to sound stupied but I just cant figure for the life of me how they would throw up water up like that. That might work the small piece of aluminum bent in a L ideal. Is the transducer a skimmer?

I think the lowarance one is it is the one that comes standard with a hds, the other one im not sure of but it goes to a humminbird piranahmax 170

crazymanme2 said:
I had the same problem,this is what I did.
I mounted mine on a plate with slots that I can raise or lower my transducer.The holes are at the top of my transom so I didn't have to put any holes below the water line.The plate is held on by (2) 1/4" bolts with wing nuts.
I found the right height by adjustment so water stopped coming in.

Thanks for that idea i might have to do that but i already have 4 holes drilled 2 for each mount ill try to post a pic of it later tonight for everyone to see

Pruitt1222 said:
Crazymans ideal would work best, If your luck is anything like mine you would hit something with the transducer and it would kick back and hit the aluminum angle and break. The transducer should be mounted between the ribs and a foot away from the lower unit. And the bottom of it should be just below the hull. Best of luck

Thanks and yes that would probably be my luck too i wish i would have known where to properly mount them before i did i have the height right i believe but i have them all the way to the left side of the boat

Here's some pics on how I did mine.
I boat in the winter & did not want to trash my transducer on ice when launching.

Attachments

• transducer mount 001.jpg
    transducer mount 001.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,633
  • transducer mount 002.jpg
    transducer mount 002.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 1,633
My transducer was very sensitive to its mounted position. A little low and it would throw water in the boat. A little high and it would not register while on plane. I finally got it just right and have had no more problems with it. You want the bottom half of transducer planing behind the boat while on plane. If it tries to plow it is going to throw water up the transom. The welds cleanliness between the bottom of the boat and the transom makes a difference also.

I have 2 sponsons welded to the bottom of my boat hence the 2 plugs for each side & 1 extra.

This is a pic before I had the drain plugs installed.

I have my boat set up to go in shallow water.(8 to 10") Gives extra stability also.

Attachments

• boat mod bbb 004.jpg
    boat mod bbb 004.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,610
Sweet, Does it effect the handling much? But... Since we are on the topic of transducers how does the location of yours effect performance? I read in the instuction book on my thingamajig that the cleaner the water passing around it makes it perform better. And well yours ain't in the best spot with the sponson kinda swirling water around and what not.

ok heres a picture of the transducers

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    647.4 KB · Views: 1,576
could be ill raise them up alot next trip out and see what it does before i make a final decision

Latest posts