Boat sank...no not mine...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RBuffordTJ

Reaction score
We were fishin' today on Lake Conway here in Orlando, first time out this year due to a hectic schedule. While ancored in a cove at the edge of a main canal I noticed a guy coming into it from the big lake and he was in a 14' jon boat. It was VERY low in the transom and I was just saying out loud "He is going to sink that boat" when he turned, reached back for something near the engine and down it went. The nose flew up, it rolled and out he went. :shock:

The boat, the 15hp Merc, 2 batteries and all his gear into the water. There were two boats real close when it happened and one guy who live on the cove all jumped in to help him, I was going to but it would be a cluster with that many of us on top of it. They got him out and the guy who lived on the cover had a ramp in his back yard so he took him to his vehicle while one other boat drug his to the shore half under water. 3 kids in a boat (probably 12 or so) fished out his gear. I heard him telling the guy as they came by, "I had way too much in the back between the batteries and fuel tank." #-o

Remember to spread that stuff out or it will bite you when you least expect it.

Bufford

Good thing there was some helpful folks around. Can you imagine if something like that happened on the morning when you're happy to have your favorite lake to yourself?!

Guys we need to really watch the weigh and distribution of it on our boats. How much freeboard needed varies on the water you are fishing. Six inches may be fine on the 5 acre pond were you never get big waves, but a foot may not be nearly enough on a bigger open lake. [-X

I have never had any issues, but when I used to have my outboard before going with a trolling motor only I used to think me (250#), fuel tank, battery and motor were too much for the stern of my 14' boat.