Need help..My boat is front heavy!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fryman

Reaction score
I have a 1648 Alumacraft modified V jon. It's the model that doesn't have a center seat. I put a small piece of plywood across the bow so that I could mount my trolling motor there. I extended the casting deck 18in with 1/2in plywood and 2x 4's. I installed a door in it that area to store my battery under there. I also used 3/8 plywood for the floor. I have a 9.9 motor. Now my boat is front heavy, I am a decent size guy and if I try to fish by myself..the whole back of the boat is out of the water. I have no problem tearing it all apart and starting over I'd just like some advice. I was thinking of moving the battery to the back and i recently got some aluminum 1 x 1 x 1/8 tubing and 1 x 1x 1/8 L channel with the intention of replacing the 2x4's with it. I also was wondering if I should take the plywood up on the floor and put styrofoam between the ribs because I did not do this. I also thought about getting a 3/4 piece of plywood to put across my back seat and installing a door for my gas tank and battery, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. I know I have just said a ton of different things and I'd love to include a pic but I can't get to my boat right now because of the snow. I want this boat to be as perfect as possible. So any advice you may have would be great!

Fryman, welcome to TB! I'm working on my first tin conversion and have a 1640 Lowe. I'm planning something like what you did so I'm eager to see what the experts recommend. Good luck!

:WELCOME: Fryman!

Thanks for joining!

Move everything to the back for sure! You have a big boat so you have many options. It is all about weight distribution when your boat is in the water with you and all your supplies.

thanks for the welcome do you think my ideas would solve my problem and as for the foam do you want it level with the ribs and do you use self taping screw to fast the 15/32 plywood down

How about bring the front deck further back then 18" thus bringing some of the weight back. On my 1648 lowe the front deck is close the 5' using 2x4's and 3/8 plywood. I've got a six gallon fuel tank in the back by the transom and the battery just in front of the back seat on the opposite side of the fuel tank. I'm 240 and able to fish on the foward bow with the boat being very stable. I recommend not putting the battery in the back next to the fuel tank. I'd hate to have a battery fire that close to the fuel tank. If you enclose the fuel tank in the back make sure you have some ventilation and easy access to your fuel tank/line while on the water.

with this boat it already has a casting deck it wasnt big enough with my extension its 6' now to the peak or the v as for the batt there a 24"x24" hole that i can fit both tank and batt in.the plan is that i will have batt in a batt box there will be a 5" x 24" air gap on the transom so i beleave it would be alright

Latest posts