trailer height

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PoorFireman

Reaction score
What is the height from the ground to the bottom of your boat. Mine is obviously too high and I am trying to lower it since my usual fishing hole has a shallow launch. How far should I lower mine to be able to launch fairly easy. TIA.

If were talking about a flat bottom boat, I have my bunks laying flat against my trailer frame. I did the same as you at first and had it sitting way too high on the trailer. No problem thus far with the set up so far.

What size of wheels do you have. I put in at lot of shallow ramps or right off the banks where there is no ramps. Due to this I stick with 8" wheels which helps alot at the shallow launches.

I have 12" wheels and they are a pain when launching at shallow ramps. Go for smaller wheels unless you will be on the highway a lot in which case go for 12"

I've got 8 inch wheels on there already but the distance from the ground to the bottom of the boat is 22 inches which seems awful high. I am planning on moving the axle to the top of the leaf springs but that will only help a little.

With my trailer sitting level the bottom of the boat is 21" off the ground. I Have 4.80x8 tires and installed new spring last fall.

Shallow launches can be a PIA. You may have to put a longer tongue on the trailer to allow you to back the boat in far enough to get some water under the hull.

Heck, at one time I had a sailboat trailer that had an extendable trailer tongue. That thing was ten feet back of my vehicle when I put the boat into the water. The sailboat had a fixed keel, so you had to float it off.

Where there is a will, there is a way. Rich

I am running a 13" wheel with a tire that is 25" tall and I have my trailer hight at 19". I did a spring under converstion on the trailer and dropped the hight about 4" it was worth the time and effort and I was able to keep the taller tires, I trailer the boat at freeway speeds 80% of the time.

You guys have made me want to go axle over when I do my suspension rebuild later this week. I haven't actually used this trailer yet due to a busted spring, so I'm unsure of the exact ride height, but I don't think it'll be too low since its smaller springs. I'm just hoping I didn't order too light of springs.

Most boat trailers have way to heavy of springs in them, and the tire does more bouncing than the spring it self. can a pic be posted of the trailer?

I can try to get one up tomorrow. I went with springs that were rated for 1000lbs (for the pair). I don't see how a 14' jonboat, trailer, gear, motor etc can weigh much more than that if at all. I'll probably keep most of my gear in the bed of the truck until I get to the ramp so it'd really just be the boat, engine (once I upgrade from a troll motor), and a few other odds an ends, plus whatever the trailer weights, which I'm guessing can't be more than a couple 100lbs.

My 1436 jonboat, trailer, motor, full fuel tank, anchors and battery weighed 700 lbs. You need to weigh your boat and trailer so you get the tongue weight correct.

Well if yours was only 700lbs, then is sounds like I made the right choice going with the lightest springs they had. Plus the hitch will take some of the weight so that'll be even more cushion.

Latest posts