porposing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishnranger

Reaction score
i have a 15' sea king with a 20 hp merc and at a plane with just me in the boat it is porpising and i have a deep cycle trojan battery up front and my 50lb minn kota and my anchor so there is probably about 120 lbs up front but how do i get it to stop porpising do i lower the motor on the transom or change the tilt it is set at with the little pin any help appreciated thanks

Changing the pin setting should fix it. What hole do you have it in?

I run mine in the middle hole & I don't have a problem. But my boat will not plane out.

if i have someone in the front of the boat it does not do it but it plows the water quite a bit when i run by myself only about the last foot of the boat is in the water

If your boat is planing high then it should an option is the hydrofoils which people call dolphin fins or just fins. They stabilize the angle to plane correctly. You can find them at BPS and other marine stores.

Where's your cavitation plate in regards to the bottom of your boat? Should be level or a little above.Check to see if the bottom of your boat is flat & doesn't have a little curve to it.

there is no dents in the bottom of the boat but the cavitation plate is about a half inch lower than the bottom of the boat i will have to raise it a little and try it

Usually ventilation plate is even or 1" above the bottom of the boat is best. Angle of transom plays a role and sometimes wedges help. A few other variables can cause as well.

A pic of your setup would help.

I have a modified 1448 semi v. I had a wicked proposing problem. As I moved the motor up the porpoising was slowing went away.

Latest posts