Cleaned Reels this weekend

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_boysles

Reaction score
SO I went fishing in the cold rain Saturday and i had gloves on. I looked down at my reel at one point and it had fuzz all over.in it. then i heard it making a winding noise. I was VERY unhappy as it was my Abu Garcia Revo S (my favorite reel). I am about three years into bass fishing and I have always been afraid to take apart a reel and clean it. I finally bit the bullet and done so that night because I could not bare the thought of my Revo making noises!

After inspecting it, there was fuzz everywhere and the noise was coming from the levelwind on the front of the reel. evidentally, the fuzz had soaked up any oil or grease lol. So i cleaned it real well. Then I took the spool out and the cover covering the gears. I inspected everything, the inards were pretty clean, just needed oiling and greasing. I greased the worm gear and oiled everything else. Only problem is, I hope I didnt overdue it. I mean i didnt pour the oil on and cake on the grease, but I did put more than one drop on things. Do you think I'll be ok? I used Berkely Reel oil and grease.

I am going to take them apert again in about 6 months and clean them up using simple green and start afresh with the grease and oil and use sparingly lol.

I ended up oiling all of my reels and relining them. One of my Pinnacle reel's anti reverse has halfway stopped working. After coiling it and all, it works fine now...weird!
I even went a step further and done all three of my spinning reels lol.

Being this was my first time and all, I learned alot and what to do next time I do this. No sooner than two hours after doing all this, I ran across this article in Bass Times:

https://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors...ps/news/story?page=BT_bonus_201103_clean_reel

This really helped. I dont know why I didnt google it first lol!

You should be fine with a drop of oil but wouldnt put anymore than 2 drops max. As for the grease, just give it a nice coating and you will be fine, dont cake it on there.

The Outdoorsman said:
You should be fine with a drop of oil but wouldnt put anymore than 2 drops max. As for the grease, just give it a nice coating and you will be fine, dont cake it on there.

well on a few things I put 3-4. hpoing it wont be bad. if i feel that they feel worse, ill take them all apart again and clean all the stuff off with degreaser and do it again

dixie_boysles said:
The Outdoorsman said:

well on a few things I put 3-4. hpoing it wont be bad. if i feel that they feel worse, ill take them all apart again and clean all the stuff off with degreaser and do it again

I'd like to clarify as to why I said what I did, I wouldnt go more than 2 drops because oils today go a long way and there is just no need to "over-oil" your reels. Really its my personal preference and Im sure 3-4 drops wouldnt hurt anything, I just feel fine with 2 drops and no more and havent had an issue out of my reels. With that in mind, if you are going to maintain your reels, stay with it each year, you take care of them and they will take care of you.

I would not recommend to grease the worm gear on the level wind. It will cost you distance, grab any dirt, and eventually wear the paw out faster. It just needs to be oiled lightly. Basically the only thing that needs a light coat of grease is the gears. Lightly oil everything else.

Yeah I didn't grease the levelwind or wormgear there. I did grease the big gear in the case

I just clean my reels once a year, and they get used around 3 times a week for 3 to 4 months. I'll keep up on them in-season with a qtip just to keep gunk at bay, and if it really needs it I'll give it a drop of oil.

Then in the dead of winter when there's no hunting or fishing to be done, I tear all of them apart and clean them, along with windexing my rods and what not. Everything is sitting in the basement, with the hopes of being used in the coming weeks.

The weather around here wont make up its mind. One day its nice and sunny. The next its cold and rainy. I have all new line on them and just picked up two jigs custom made by a student in my class i teach and cant even fish them! dang weather!

Latest posts