Painting Questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joefraze

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Im new to the site, and also have bought me a new old boat. Haha. Bought a 1952 feather craft. People used it as a duck boat. They had painted it camo. Im not big on it, and its starting to chip a little bit. I was wondering what your opinions on painting would be. Just take some sand paper and rough it up a bit, spray with self etching primer, then paint it. The final paint is going to be olive color(Normal jon boat). We have a spray gun we could use, or i was thinking just brush it on. Let me know your opinions. Everything is appreciated. I will attach a picture for refrence.

DSCN0008.jpg

yes you can scuff up the old paint and then put primer on it and then spray it, but remember, cant have any flakes in the old paint or it will be a mess here and there. probably best to sand the entire thing down if the old paint is peeling or flaking off. As for your question about spray gun or rolling, personally I would use the spray gun and you can lay it down nicer but you can roll it nice too, just a personal preference.

Froggy said:
Yep, dont need to sand the whole thing

X2

Just make sure all of the flakes are gone. Also, not sure of your location. If you consider yourself to live in a southern state, the OD can get pretty warm in the summer. I brushed my paint on and have no complaints, but the spray jobs look pretty smooth.

Yep, dont need to sand the whole thing, If you have a sprayer, I would recommend Parker duck boat paints

X2 I used a sprayer and Parker paint as well. Make certain all loose paint is off, prime and clean with a degreaser plus acetone.

X100000 on the Parker Duck Boat Paint. super good stuff! i cheated and sprayed mine at a body shop though

dixie_boysles said:
X100000 on the Parker Duck Boat Paint. super good stuff! i cheated and sprayed mine at a body shop though

I would scrape/grind off any flaking paint, sand the rest, then prime and paint. here is my boat with Bay Grey Duck Boat paint from Parkers

BEFORE:
Pictures1004-1.jpg

MIDDLE (PRIMED)

DSCF3268.jpg

PAINTED

DSCF3272.jpg

392244819.jpg

DONE

392441681.jpg

Latest posts