Aluminum Flooring Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigtuna22

Reaction score
Hello, I am replacing the flooring in my jon boat with aluminum. My goal is to build the lightest boat I can. The boat has a outboard jet, and I am going to be running and fishing SKINNY water. I am trying to count the build in ounces and not pounds...

The ribs are approx. 1.5" wide and 12.5" on center, the gap is just under 12 inches. I plan on placing pink building foam under the deck for less noise and added floatation just in case. The foam should sit flush with the ribs.

What is the thinnest aluminum I can get away with? I will probably cover with marine vinyl naugahyde-type material. I have some left over from a previous boat.

I don't care about sagging, just as long as it doesn't shear, or crack. How thin could I go? .04" maybe .03" or even smaller?

I was thinking about using perforated aluminum 3/16" dia holes on 3/8" staggered ctrs.
Would I be able to use the same thickness aluminum and save a little more weight? approx. 23%.

Thank you for your help, and your opinions.

In this part of the country they use perforated aluminum flooring in the Outboard Jet Boats. Almost all of them have this in them. Easy to wash out and has to be lighter.

Do they paint the perforated alum. at all, or just leave it bare? Does it have enough grip with the perforation?
I am also a little worried about it getting too hot during the summer, any experience?

Most people just leave their perferated floors bare aluninium but I've talked to a guy that sprayed truck bed liner on his. He said it only anded a couple of pounds to the whole floor. Perforated is the way to go for on outboard jet if you have to have a floor and need it to be light weight. Most people will weld in braces in between their ribs to keep it from bowing. You can get buy without them and keep it from bowing if you just watch about putting to much weight in between the ribs. They can get hot but that is just to your bare feet. I don't think I would put foam under a perferated floor because it dosn't look nearly as nice.

I have a 14' jon boat with a 20 jet and did the same thing you did years ago. I took the wood out, got some closed cell foam to go between the ribs and then got .060 aluminum and coverd it with carpet. With the foam underneath it, it doesn't flex and I am very happy with the .060. It is light.

Scott

Thanks everyone. I guess i will just try to get my hands on some perforated alumn to see how I like it. If i don't, I will go with 1/16" or smaller sheet and cover it.

Since i live in atlanta the heat is an issue. I am sure i could paint the perforated white, But i would hate for it to start flaking in my boat.

Does anyone have a number of a boat dealer that regularly uses the perforated. I would like to know what thickness and hole patterns they use.

Latest posts