Aluminum Support Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nussy

Reaction score
I'm just starting my next project, a mini pontoon boat. I'm looking for some advice on the support structure. I'm thinking the overall width will be 8 ft....so about 6 foot span between the supports. I was thinking about using square tube or channel for the crossmember frame but I'm open to other ideas and suggestions. Also wondering if I use sq tube what size should I use? Would 1.5 x 1.5 x .125 be appropriate? Open to any other ideas as sq tube is a bit pricey.

I'd get .090 or .125 sheet, rip them, or get a shop to shear them down to 8" wide, and then get a shop to brake them into hat sections (1" flange, 1.5" height, with a 3" web). The strength to weight ratio on these is much better than tube, and assuming a 48x96 sheet, you can get six crossbars out of a 150 dollar sheet of .090, or 190 dollar sheet of .125.

Thanks Bassboy, I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. That's a really good idea and I think it will be more cost effective as well. My supports are 4" wide 24" apart. Here's a pic. Essentially I'm going to take the 24' pontoons and cut them in half to make 2-12" Boats.
Blank Slate.jpg

A couple more questions for you. I'm thinking I'd cut 1" out of the web so that the hat's top is 2" wide, 4" overall(so they fit either direction on my bracing). Then I thought if I cut the 1/2" out of the height I could be more efficient with waste, by getting 8 pieces out out of a 4 x 8 sheet. Will cutting the 1/2" in height make any difference in the strength? I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

Hats.JPG

I'm guessing option B would be the better design as it speads out the touch points on the deck right? Or doesn't it really matter. I kind of like option A since it will require less deck connections. I'm thinking about using aluminum decking material and I think I'm going to have to have the screws visible on the top of the deck so it would cut down on the screws being seen.

Do you think the hat design can carry a 6 foot span better than the square tube? Would it help to run one center support just connecting all the crossmember hat supports together? I thought it might help distribute the load a little better( but it's probably no different than screwing the decking material down to the hat bracing).

Thanks for the help!!

C channel.

That way you can use the bottom flat section to bolt the tubes to, and the top to bolt the deck too. And it's what pontoon builders use.

3/16" thick, and approximately 3" tall. That is what we used at Bennington.
However that was done because of the BIG engines used, and they could cause flexing of the floor.

So I would find some happy medium between thinner and shorter than the above. FWIW the height adds as much or more strength than thickness. When we switched we stayed at the same thickness, but went to a taller C channel.

I guess that makes sense the higher it is the the less flexing. I'm not too concerned with the torque my 55lb trolling motor will put on it :) , I really only concerned about having it support 2-3 people, the deck and a couple fishing seats......and not cost a million $$ to buy the support structure.

:idea: I had the bright idea to crawl under my 18' Misty Harbor, not sure why I didn't think of that sooner. Looks like they used a Z brace 1.5" wide by 1.75" high.

Guess I should have taken my engineering class before this one. I have nothing of subtance to add but that its good to see you around. I always enjoy following your builds.

Nussy said:
Thanks Bassboy, I was hoping you'd chime in on this one. That's a really good idea and I think it will be more cost effective as well. My supports are 4" wide 24" apart. Here's a pic. Essentially I'm going to take the 24' pontoons and cut them in half to make 2-12" Boats.
View attachment 1

A couple more questions for you. I'm thinking I'd cut 1" out of the web so that the hat's top is 2" wide, 4" overall(so they fit either direction on my bracing). Then I thought if I cut the 1/2" out of the height I could be more efficient with waste, by getting 8 pieces out out of a 4 x 8 sheet. Will cutting the 1/2" in height make any difference in the strength? I don't think so, but I thought I'd ask.

I'm guessing option B would be the better design as it speads out the touch points on the deck right? Or doesn't it really matter. I kind of like option A since it will require less deck connections. I'm thinking about using aluminum decking material and I think I'm going to have to have the screws visible on the top of the deck so it would cut down on the screws being seen.

Do you think the hat design can carry a 6 foot span better than the square tube? Would it help to run one center support just connecting all the crossmember hat supports together? I thought it might help distribute the load a little better( but it's probably no different than screwing the decking material down to the hat bracing).

Thanks for the help!!

Were you to use the hat section, I'd absolutely keep the 1.5" height, and would more than likely consider going to 2" before I opted to jump up a thickness.

Option B would also be better. The strength in the hat section comes from the 2" web (and more importantly, having it spaced away from the deck), so putting it up against the deck would be causing the load to be pulling on the flanges. By putting the flanges up against the deck, the downward load is putting the web in tension, which is where it's strength is, and fastens the flanges, keeping them from spreading apart, or flexing closer together, making somewhat of a box beam, even. As long as you had adequate material around the bolts, you could drop each flange down to .75 inch, to make up for the .5 added to the height.

Disclaimer: I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on TV. Just throwing that out there. I just know what has worked for me in the past, and what I would likely do.

Thanks Bassboy, you might not have the degree, but I think a lot of the members think of you as one of the lead engineers of this site! I'll probably stick with the original idea you had or the C channel idea. Need to do some price checking.

Nussy said:
Need to do some price checking.

May want to get on that pretty soon. The price of aluminum in my area has been going up a pretty good bit (not sure why, there have been no other signs of the economy turning around). A few weeks ago, I had the price of small 3 sheet order go up by 85 bucks in one business day.

Latest posts