Some questions regarding paint

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattR

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 1970 something 15 foot Tuffy tri hull fiberglass boat. I bought it with primer on it. I want to get it ready to paint it, yet unsure what color(s) would be good. I know I will receive mixed replies about this, yet what color for the bottom of the boat is best for fishing? I see lots of boats have white hulls, yet not all the time. If color choice does not affect fishing sucess at all, then any suggestions as far as what color the boat should be? I have a few color choices in mind, not anything firm though. Who knows, maybe somebody will come up with a nice two tone color idea.

I have some time before it is warm enough to paint the boat, so looking for some advice. There is still ice on the lakes by me.

A bit off topic, yet no name for the boat yet. I would like to try to utilize the boat manufacturer name (Tuffy) in it. Any ideas, funny, traditional, and all other types will be considered.

Thanks,
Matt

Paint it your favorite color. I would paint it to match my truck either way I don't think the fish don't care :D

Thanks for the reply dr_beerman.

I didn't think the fish cared either. I figured if I was going to paint it, might as well make sure there was not some magic color that I did not know about. Right now it is grey primer, and getting sick of having it look like a project that I gave up on. I didn't start the paint project, but I am going to finish it and hopefully have one of the best looking old Tuffys out there. Not sure if I want to paint it the color of my truck, which is black. It would probably get a bit warm out fishing on a hot day. I like the color blue, yet wanted to see if any other colors or color combinations might sound good for the paint project.

Matt

You could always two-tone it with the bottom half or third being black to match your truck and the top another color. That is what I am going to do, except the black of mine is going to be a bedliner type stuff to give strength and durability to the old aluminum.

tadpole86 said:
You could always two-tone it with the bottom half or third being black to match your truck and the top another color. That is what I am going to do, except the black of mine is going to be a bedliner type stuff to give strength and durability to the old aluminum.

On the topic of the bedliner stuff. I can understand it giving the bottom more strength and durability, yet since it is not a smooth surface I can see a possible problem with doing so. I would think that the surface of it, since not completely smooth, would cause extra air bubbles to flow towards the back by any transducer you might use. Is that stuff sandable to get a smooth surface? If so, that might be a great option for me since the majority of lakes I fish do not have a pier, and usually have to pull the boat on the shore to get the truck and trailer.

Matt

I like tadpole's idea. Maybe you could paint the lower half black and the upper the same color as the interior of your truck. Or you could go with light gray to keep the heat down

Forget using bedliner on the outside.

It won't last.

bedliner stuff forgotten...lol.

dr_beerman, the black with a light grey would work good. Seats are grey so that would match. Plus I can always add vinyl graphics on the grey section later on if I wanted to make it more unique.

I have been having a long time "writers block" type of thing when it came down to deciding colors on the boat. It is nice at times to have a fresh outlook by asking others what they think about colors. So I do like the black idea on the bottom, especially since it will be easy to touch up any scratches/scuffs that will occur on the bottom. The grey keeps the heat down a bit plus allows a wide range of color options for the graphics which will be added in the future.

Thanks to everybody who replied. It may have been a simple and not really important type of topic, but my brain was stuck and needed a little kick to get it working once again..lol.

Thanks,
Matt

Latest posts