foam

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clarego

Reaction score
HI all real new newbie first 12' vhual. Before i get the boat im going to stick it in the pond. But i have a question all these mods add weight to the boats im sure of that, is foam helping the weight distributing or is it just to make it sound proof ?

thanks when i get my 12' ill post up pics

great site

clarence

MattR said:
Foam helps reduce noises such as dropping a sinker on the boat floor.

Matt

What type of foam, and where do you put in? So if you were putting a floor on a boat would you put sheet foam (the 1" blue stuff) under it or something?

1 inch stuff if it doesn't help with weight then i may not do it may just add foam to the aluminum seats btw it is a sears Sea Nymph

MattR said:

Matt

A side benefit of the foam is noise reduction. But, the primary purpose is to provide flotation in case you get swamped. The intention is to prevent a complete sinking. If your boat fills with water and if you have a sufficient amount of foam, the boat will still float just at the surface. This is good because 1) it gives you and/or your passengers something to hang on to until help arrives, and 2) your rescuer may be able to help tow your boat back to the ramp for recovery. Recovery from the ramp area or the water line is possible. Recovery from the bottom of forty foot deep water is unlikely. You've just donated structure.

Jim said:
What is the purpose of the foam you are talking about? flotation? or to quiet it down?

Sorry, sometimes I'm a little slow. :D

can i add more weight to the boat or is just for stability ? i am big person 250 lol thats a trolling motor and a 4 hp outboard will more likely be half the weight

probably just add a wood floor to the bottom of it so it makes it easier to get in has anyone tried adding just ply to the bottom without bracing with 2 by 2 so its a removable floor just in case

clarego said:
probably just add a wood floor to the bottom of it so it makes it easier to get in has anyone tried adding just ply to the bottom without bracing with 2 by 2 so its a removable floor just in case

Yes! I did it with my crawdad. It is nice. You can remove the floor, power wash it, vacuum it and clean underneath. Not a bad idea in my opinion.

lbursell said:
MattR said:

Matt

A side benefit of the foam is noise reduction. But, the primary purpose is to provide flotation in case you get swamped. The intention is to prevent a complete sinking. If your boat fills with water and if you have a sufficient amount of foam, the boat will still float just at the surface. This is good because 1) it gives you and/or your passengers something to hang on to until help arrives, and 2) your rescuer may be able to help tow your boat back to the ramp for recovery. Recovery from the ramp area or the water line is possible. Recovery from the bottom of forty foot deep water is unlikely. You've just donated structure.

Yeah, a structure to target fish at!!!!! They love those off-shore "humps" in the terrain. :mrgreen:

The Outdoorsman said:
lbursell said:
MattR said:

Matt

Yeah, a structure to target fish at!!!!! They love those off-shore "humps" in the terrain. :mrgreen:

And if nobody sees it sink, you have exclusive knowledge of where that "fish structure" is for at least a little while..lol.

I did say it "helps" with noise reduction. The flotation thing did not pop into my head at the time I posted. OP asked "is foam helping the weight distributing or is it just to make it sound proof ?", so I mainly answered based on the question asked. The Outdoorsman mentioning the flotation benefit is the best reason for foam though.

Matt

Finally got my boat in the water. and do have questions its an old seanympth Sears model number 61352s 1988. can anyone give me more info about this boat ? i forgot the caMera i so need to take pics :| it was a 40 degress out and just wanted to see how she float