carpeting deck and hatches

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tripleup05

Reaction score
How much space should I leave between the hatch and surrounding deck to allow for the carpet to wrap around? I guess it might depend on the carpet I use, but I don't quite have the money at the moment to buy it. My plan is to use a basic marine carpet from Bass Pro or Cabela's.

1/4 inch should be fine. It will probably be tight at first but it will eventually fit nice over time/use. Also look for rubber backed outdoor carpet at Lowes/Home Depot. It is cheaper

Dont buy that stuff from Bass Pro and Cabelas. Use these guys from Dalton that supplies BPS. Its much cheaper to buy direct from the supplier.

I got some samples and it was good quality stuff.

https://www.capricarpet.com/c-239-boat-carpet.aspx

We also, around St. Louis, have a discount hardware store called Hoods. They sell marine carpet at a very good price. If you have a Hoods...check them out.

Thanks for the replies guys.

Jim, I grabbed a few samples of the indoor/outdoor rubber backed stuff from Home Depot. The price was awesome and it looked good, but the fibers were continous loop. I dropped a rooster tail onto the sample swatch, and it instantly snagged on the carpet. Took pliers to get it out!

Troutman3000 said:
Dont buy that stuff from Bass Pro and Cabelas. Use these guys from Dalton that supplies BPS. Its much cheaper to buy direct from the supplier.

I got some samples and it was good quality stuff.

https://www.capricarpet.com/c-239-boat-carpet.aspx

Oh man you got me so stoked when I visited that site. Until I read "Note: 125 lineal foot minimum order" #-o

Bugpac said:
Its just cheaper buy the roll, and thats the minimum roll amount. look at the cut yd price.

Oh I understand. To get the roll price, you have to buy 125lf. Otherwise they charge cut price. Got it. I am going to call and get a shipping estimate tomorrow. Unless shipping is outrageous, it will definitely be cheaper.

tripleup05 said:
Bugpac said:
Its just cheaper buy the roll, and thats the minimum roll amount. look at the cut yd price.

Oh I understand. To get the roll price, you have to buy 125lf. Otherwise they charge cut price. Got it. I am going to call and get a shipping estimate tomorrow. Unless shipping is outrageous, it will definitely be cheaper.

You can get some samples too.

I got a gift card from BPS and ordered my carpet from there. Very expensive... a 6 x 11 foot piece was like $80. The quality was poor as well. The rubber backing is very thin and when cut the edges shed. The only upside is the carpet is easy to cut. If it last 3 years, I'll be surprised.

Latest posts