Looking for a Mod-V Jon boat with specific requirements

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jig master

Reaction score
I'm new to this website, but must say there is a lot of great info on here! I am looking for a smaller Mod-V John that has a beam of 69" or less and will do close to 30mph with a 25hp. Apart from bassing on the Mississippi River, I fish tourneys on a chain of lakes with two boat passes under roads that are 69 1/2" wide. I am going to rig this boat with a 24V Minn Kota Maxxum and a 25hp 2-stroke Yamaha short shaft tiller which I already own. I've been searching and it seems like most 14-16' mod-v's have a 70 inch beam or wider. I am open to used boats too, but haven't found the right one. Anyone have any specific brands/models that might fit the bill? Anyone have a used boat that fits this description for sale? A livewell would be a plus, but not a necessity as I can always add this after the fact. Thanks in advance!

I just looked at 4 manufacturer's sites for beam width. It looks like if you want to squeeze through the boat pass you're going to have to get either a 36" or 40" bottom width. Every one of the 48" boats had a beam of 70" or greater. It also looks like most of the smaller boats in the 36" and 40" widths are riveted and usually not a mod v. Mostly they also won't take a 25hp motor. One nice boat is the Alumacraft Crappie Jon. It is a 1442 with a beam of 64" and a side height of 20" with a 15" transom - it's max hp is 15. It would be nice to give yourself a few inches through the boat pass so the waves don't bang you against the walls (don't run through with your hand on the gunnel!). Anyway, here's the url to the crappie boat...
https://www.alumacraft.com/2011-models/crappies/crappie-jon/#info

It seems like most all the 1448's I've found are spec'd out with either a 70" or 72" transom. I need one that's 68 1/2" or less to get through the channel!

Your the first guy on there to want a skinny boat. LOL. Maybe you can look at at 1542 or a 1442. Or even a Gheenoe (Hope I don't get in trouble for mentioning a fiberglass rig) Gheenoe's are super cool and almost untipable. They also rip with a 15 hp motor. Enough to pull a wake boarder.