how did everyone install there carpet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfetter20

Reaction score
ive seen several different styles and techniques on this site , but never any full detailed pictures of how they did it? is there anyone out there who documented the exact procedures that they used to cut and mount there carpeting?

I installed my carpet on top of .060 aluminum. I used outdoor carpet glue and on the sides I wrapped it around and glued it underneath the floor also. On the ends of my floor sections I put .5 strips of aluminum over top to hold it down so the edges don't start raising up.

Scott

Since this thread is about installing carpet I figured I would ask here to see if someone knew. I am just starting my mods but I intend to carpet the floor and decks when I get there. I have priced marine grade base model carpet from BPS, Cabelas, and even the Home Depot and it seems I will have to drop about $150 for a 6' wide by 20' long piece of carpet to cover a 14' boat.
What would be the pros and cons of using maybe plain old outdoor carpet for a deck or patio. It seems to be a lot cheaper as well as water and mold resistant. Has anyone used this before?
If marine grade is the way to go is there a place where I could find it cheaper?

3M adhesive spray, staples and it was custom fitted, everyone's decks will be differant in sizes so we caan't give ya sizes, but we can give ya the basics. It will also depend if you plan on having removable decks?

The spray IMHO is the way to go, Im getting ready to use it again on my runners for the trailer rebuild im involved in now. stuff is quick and easy and it holds! 4 years and it has held up on my boat.

USE OUTSIDE CARPET atuc593

i just did my boat with the marine carpet from lowes , it was only $35 , my boat is a 1432 . i had cut 2 peices at 10' x 4' . used carpet glue for $ 7 , here is a pic ,
109.jpg
, hope that helps , also if you use staples you must use stainless

dixie_boysles said:
The reason I say get the contact cement is its an INSTANT stick. with the outdoor carpet adhesive sold in the flooring department you have to wait for it to set up. Its fine for if you are doing a porch or something. But when you are doing carpet on a boat and covering edges you want it INSTANT. Plus the contact cement sticks to anything! all you have to do is take some cheap paint brushes, and apply it to the item you are carpeting and the back of the carpet. let it tack up (5 mins) then place the item onto the carpet (not the carpet onto the item!). Once its down, there is no moving it. The contact cement helps prevent wrinkles. In my WHOLE boat, i dont have a SINGLE wrinkle. Not to sound egotistical, but my method is the BEST that I have seen.

1) lay carpet upside down on really flat surface like garage floor or something.

2) place items onto carpet and trace around them leaving enough room to be able to lap the carpet over the sides of the items a good inch or so.

3) cut out the carpet pieces.

4) leave them face down (plushside down)

5) Take contact cement and cheap paint brush and cover the back of the carpet with a thin layer. stay about 1 1/2" off the edges of the carpet. Then take the contact cement and paint it on the side of the item to be carpeted. let the contact cement tack up.

6) Place ITEM ONTO CARPET (not carpet to item). It usually takes two to do this so that you can hold the item above the carpet backing until you about have it in place then set it down onto the carpet. remember, once you set it down on the contact cement, its there to STAY. now walk on it to help prevent wrinkles. now its time to take care of the edges of the carpet.

7)remember in step 5 you stayed off the edges of the carpet about 1 1/2" when applying cement? Now here us where you fix that. at each corner of the item, you will have to miter the corners so that it can overlap good.

8) apply contact cement to the remaining carpet and the backside of the item (where the carpet is to lap over the edge) let the cement tack

9) lap the edge of the carpet over and mash really good. wallah, you have carpeted your item. it should look like this when done:

391996795.jpg

nice and smooth

here is how mine came out:

392441820.jpg

392441681.jpg

392036313.jpg

391996795.jpg

all you need is scissors and contact cement and cheap paint brushes