Anybody ever make outriggers for a small V boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jwest012

Reaction score
I'm looking to create a set of outriggers for my 12 ft V boat in order to increase stability when walking around the raised deck. Let me know if anybody has any experience with making a set of outriggers. I have a basic design in my head but wanted to see if anybody else had some insight. Thanks in advance.

I made some for a canoe/kayak. Still have them. They were mounted using rodholders for maximum adjustablilty. PVC, and LARGE swim noodles. They had plenty of "lift" for my purpose. Rich

Came out similar to these...
https://www.buy.com/prod/yak-gear-outriggers/q/loc/17250/216230513.html

I was considering doing the same for my 14 ft flat bottom. I was thinking of attaching a piece of pvc pipe to the side with a big noodle in it to each side of the boat. Then maybe a 45 degree elbow on the front so it would run through the water a little bit better then capping the top of that.

You can taper the front of the noodles by cutting them. I held mine up to a spinning belt sander and rotated the noodle. Came out quite nice.

If you don't have access to a belt sander...you could probably jury-rig a hot wire and cut with that. Any decent power source applied to the ends of a stretched wire will work. Many guys, in RC planes, use that rig to cut wing shapes out of foam.

An old battery; or an extra computer power feed .... is often the source...but..you need a lot of wire to absorb the current. Rich