wood vs. aluminium framing?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libertyday

Reaction score
I looked through the forum to find if any information on which is better.....wood or aluminium framing but i couldnt find anything. has anyone compared the two? Im sure they both have there pro and cons so i would like to see them side by side. if anyone can direct me to a thread that talks about this topic please let me know. Or if someone just wants to give me the run down here that would be fine also. thanks for your help.

libertyday said:
I looked through the forum to find if any information on which is better.....wood or aluminium framing but i couldnt find anything. has anyone compared the two? Im sure they both have there pro and cons so i would like to see them side by side. if anyone can direct me to a thread that talks about this topic please let me know. Or if someone just wants to give me the run down here that would be fine also. thanks for your help.

There have been a number of threads delving into this topic in detail - try the search feature and you should find them

Basically, the consensus is:

WOOD:
Pro: Cheap, easy to work with

Con: Can and will rot, not as strong, sightly heavier in most application (given that you have to use more wood), requires good sealing and painting

Alum:

Pro: Stronger per lb foot of material, does not rot, lighter

Con: More expensive, harder to work with

I am sure there are members who can give you more specifics

I am building my boat with 2x2 aluminum because it was free all I had to do was haul it away, but so far it has been a little harder to work with but the time spent building the frame will be well worth the time its lifespan. I have about 35 hours worth of build and design into the front and rear decks and about another 5 to complete the two of them.

Latest posts