Fishfinder... track plotting and chart plotting

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dyeguy1212

Reaction score
I'm looking at a new downscan humminbird. What are/what's the difference between track plotting and chart plotting on a fish finder with GPS?

I thought "trackback" was a term coined for the ability to look at the history on your fish finder and select a point, and mark it on your gps. Not sure though.

I need to catch this wave of new technology and stop finding fish by trial and error... :lol:

dyeguy1212 said:
I need to catch this wave of new technology and stop finding fish by trial and error... :lol:

Wish I could help. I'm so far behind the wave, I'm standing on dry land. Right now its in the "Someday" file.

I want to know also, am in the market for a color unit, but it's kind of like a dog chasin a car. Don't know if I could drive it after I got it!! I am an untech guy, all this hi tech stuff has pretty much passed me by.

This is from the Humminbird website,

A chart plotter shows your waypoints, track, and routes, along with a map for reference. All chart plotters are considered track plotters.
A track plotter shows the track, waypoints, and routes, but DOES NOT show a map.

If you look in their support section, you can find product manuals for the fishfinders/GPS. Just download the one you're interested in and read through the glossary.

FWIW, I think that just about all fishfinders have the chart plotter ability; it seems that only specialized stuff has only the track plotter. The map makes it much easier.

Hope this helps,
Skidz

Skidz said:
This is from the Humminbird website,

A chart plotter shows your waypoints, track, and routes, along with a map for reference. All chart plotters are considered track plotters.
A track plotter shows the track, waypoints, and routes, but DOES NOT show a map.

If you look in their support section, you can find product manuals for the fishfinders/GPS. Just download the one you're interested in and read through the glossary.

FWIW, I think that just about all fishfinders have the chart plotter ability; it seems that only specialized stuff has only the track plotter. The map makes it much easier.

Hope this helps,
Skidz

Thanks

Latest posts