shopping around

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Diesel Dan

Reaction score
Being that I am out of town working and 400 miles from my boat I decided to use my off time to shop around and get an idea of what I need and where to get it. I am planning a transom rebuild whenever I get back home. I was thinking of using a tough plastic like the kind they make cutting boards out of instead of plywood. Has anyone ever seen that done? Seems to me it would be strong enough and not rot. I might have to paint it to keep the sun from eating it up. Just a thought. Another question came up while shopping. I ran across a spar urathane made by minwax/helmsman in a spray can. Is that stuff any good? Thanks

Delrin Plastic is what it is called. Machinist use it to mill parts out of it because it is so strong and uniform. I think it will work.

seems like it would be less mess than a can and brush set up. Also no wasting except for overspray. I have been researching this Delrin and it is used as a metal replacement. Hydrocarbon resistant,UVresistant,water resistant and very strong. I am going to try to put my hands on a piece to see if I really want to use it. Seems like a good product and a good plywood replacement. I just don't know if the motor clamp will grip it good or not.

Durlin is splippery as snot. Its used to cover trailer bunks to make loading and unloading easier. Heard stories of boats sliding off the trailer, before they were in the water at the ramp.

Best wood for a transom is White Oak. Strong as hell and resists the elements.

Paint can is OK.

I would imagine that enough delrin to redo a transom would be SUPER expensive.

Check McMaster Carr as I'm sure they might carry it in the sizes you need.

Delrin is Acetal. Cutting boards are made from HDPE (High density polyethylene).

https://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=181&step=2&top_cat=181

A few years ago I helped move a very large shop that made custom corian countertops , as a bonus the owner allowed me to load my truck level to the top of the bed with leftovers. I know it's not delrin but its strong ,pretty much unbreakable,waterproof,doesn't rot, and a lot cheaper. I think it would do the job,I'm gonna try it on my next restoration. Has anyone ever tried it?

thanks for all the input yall. I was super busy today breaking down a drill rig and getting it ready to transport so I did not have time to call the local plastic supplier and see what he had availible. Maybe later this week I can sneek out for a few and look at the options availible. I'll let yall know what I find out

Latest posts