Transom Wood

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusjack

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what type of wood to use when replacing a transom, or if the type even matters as long as it has sufficient coats of urethane. Im getting set to replace the transom on a 14' tracker and have no idea if there is a specific type of wood I should be using. Thank y'all

Exterior grade plywood. I used 2 layers of 1/2" Gorilla glued together to make up the 1" I needed.

I used marine grade plywood 1/2"thick ,then glued 2 pieces together for 1" just like lokstkn2smknbarls. Then I spar varnished the whole thing paying special attention around the edges. I used a 1/2" on the outside of the transom. If I had it to do over I'd probably use exterior grade and spent the savings elsewhere on the boat.....

plywood has voids, voids weeken the integrity, use a chain so your motor doesnt end up at the bottom of the lake.
marine plywood doesnt have voids.

The person I bought my boat from had a heavyduty plastic piece made up (looks like its actually three layers) to replace the rotten transom wood. I haven't installed it yet, but its on the to-do list this week. I'll try to post pictures later on.