How did you cut your angle aluminum?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick James

Reaction score
Just curious how you cut your angle aluminum for your boat project. I'm hoping next weekend I'll be getting the front floor done, and I'm thinking I'll use angle aluminum for the supports. I'll be cutting probably around a dozen pieces. Should I just use a hacksaw, or is there a cheap power tool I can use that will be more precise? I've got a pretty good miter saw, but not sure if that's a good option for aluminum, I've read mixed things on the internet and don't want to spend $$$ on a blade just for this project.

Any advice?

Table saw works great. Or a wood cutting chop saw. Wood chop saw works better then a chop saw with a metal cutting wheel. I have tried both. Skill saw probably would work but I haven't tried it. I use a cheapo ryobi table saw.

Use your mitre saw with a carbide finish blade. If it's a 10" about 60 teeth. 12" about 80 teeth. Less than that is asking for trouble if you have never worked with aluminum. Cut slow and steady like a piece of hardwood. Wear long sleeves and safety glasses. Hot chips.
Hope this helps.

I have used angle grinders for the odd shape cuts, band saw for the detial cuts, and cold a cutting saw for the fast 90 degree cuts, they all have there own use.