Stability of a 15 x 36 Monarch?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richg99

Reaction score
I'm a big guy 6'2 250. I think I want to add a boat to my fleet. I only have a paddle boat and a canoe on my little 8 acre pond. The Lake Assn. doesn't allow any motive power other than paddles, oars, and wind.

There is a 15 ft; 36 inch bottom-width tinny is available on Craig's list locally. How stable do you guy think that boat would be if there were TWO guys my size and two 8 to 10 yr old kids? We would only be rowing. Probably no one would even stand up very often.

My best guess is that the four of us would not often be on board all at the same time, However we would be together, some of the time. The two children and I will be using it a most of the time.

My present tinny is a 160W Lowe, which is probably 60 inches wide and extremely stable, whether running under power or just floating. My original thought was to find a 12 or 14 ft with a width of 42 or 48. Am I being over cautious on the stability side?

thanks, Rich

Also....the seller says the following "title says 15ft monark, i guess they measure bottom. With rake on bottom it probably is 15 ft. top measure from stern to bow is more like 12 ft. bottom width is 36" , top at back is 54"

That doesn't make any sense to me for a 15 ft boat. Does anyone here own one or something similar and can tell me if this really is a 15 Monark...or...maybe he has a title from another boat??? I asked him to check the serial numbers on the back of the boat and get back to me. thanks, Rich

These boats are rated for UP TO 300-500 pounds total. That includes all gear, people, equipment, motor, batteries, etc.

So one 250 lb guy with 2 kids would be fine, but I would not suggest even you 2 guys with almost nothing else. These ratings are in place for a reason (your safety).

Length is measured on the top, center line of the boat. 12/36 is a common size. Haven't seen many if any 15/36's.

My personal opinion is that two 250# guys, plus two kids is too much for a 12/36. When you count the gear and evcerything else, you're looking at close to 700# if not more.

I would rather play it safe than sorry.

Skidz

Yep, I agree. Seems like the boat that I mentioned is really only a 12 footer anyhow. I am continuing to look...now in the 14 or 16 foot range, with a 42 inch or wider base. thanks Rich

Most of these boats regardless if they are 12 or 16 ft or 24 to 48" wide all have close to the same legal weight ratings, around 300-600 lbs total.

It is not until you get to the actual larger boats (like bass boats, pontoons, tri-hull, etc) that have closer to a 1000-2000 lb rating.

I know that on the Tubby Tubby weight loss thread...that I have been plateaued at 250 lbs for while...but.....

"closer to a 1000-2000 " .......

It isn't THAT bad!! Ha Ha....regards, Rich

Latest posts