Wood Decking Alternatives

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nussy

Reaction score
I just starting my mini pontoon build and I was wondering what anyone has used for decking alternatives to plywood. I wanted to go with aluminum planks, but can't find them within 400 miles of me. They are expensive enough not to want to pay another couple hundred for shipping. This boat will sit outside 24/7 so I was looking for something that wouldn't rot away or hold water. So I was wondering if anybody else had any good ideas.

There is a material called skatelite that is used on outdoor skatepark ramps. It is used in place of wood because it resists everything. It can be drilled, screwed, painted, carpeted, whatever you want. Its about as thick as 1/4ply so as long as you have plenty of supports under it you'll be fine.

Some parks use steel ramps but they get super hot here in FL in the summer. If you fall you not only risk hurting yourself from the fall but burning from the hot concrete or metal ramps. Skatelite stays cool. Just Google Skatelite.

Oh yea, its also very light...as the name suggests.

That's part of my problem. Supports are already welded to the pontoons, most at 24" apart. So it limits me a little without paying some one to weld extra supports to the toons and double up my bracing.For that cost I could probably pay for shipping.

I thought about aluminum sheet but wasn't sure about the seams and how thick it would have to be.

Latest posts