First Crawdad

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dice1

Reaction score
Well folks new to the forum but not new to the boating world. While my Sunbird sits due to no time to work on her until some cash clears I have picked up a Coleman Crawdad to kick around on in my local rivers and lakes. From the outskirts of Philly and mainly fishing in the Skukyl River the 50lbs thrust TM that came with the Crawdad only seems to put out power to move in to end. Found a prop on www.kipawapropellers.com has anyone ever used this model before and if so what can I expect. Also planing on a nice floor for more stability because the first time out the bottom seed a litle lite hearted on any sort of wave or wake I came across.

Any info would be apriciated.

Welcome to the forums! Good to have another Philly area guy on board. I am not sure what you are experiencing but a 50lb thrust trolling motor should push a crawdad around pretty well. Are you sure your battery is good?

should be I bought it from work the same day i took it out. Its an old Minn Kota 50lbs with 5 forward and 3 revers. The rive was up a little and had some head wind but the day turned out got for only 2 hours and 4 Bass on a Plug and small spinners. the whole deal was $600 so I don't think it was to bad of a deal.

Welcome!
It's funny you mentioned a Coleman Crawdad because I was just looking at one for sale on good ole' Craigslist for around $200.00
I have a 12' really lightweight aluminum jon boat (cheapo) out fitted with 2 clam shell seats on black metal metal posts. Anyway, I have a 50lb thrust on it & use it on a shallow river with a fair amount of current on it. And it pushes it ok. Of course, the motor has to be set on 4 or 5 to do it but still. And I have yet to test it with another person in the boat. I am thinking that if I also attach my 36 lb along with the 50lb if that'll give me the Ommmph I need to get up the river easier. :-k So in short, I feel your pain. Btw, forget using any kind of gas ob, you'll be spending more time messing around with it then fishing (trust me, 1 minute the river is 4' deep & the next 4"). Anyway, I say check your battery & if not that, then the motor itself.
Good luck.

Is there a way to increase the rigidity of the body. It seemed like every small dip flexed the whole thing. Ive seen some with Plywood Floors and Carpet doe that help in bolted to the rails for the seats.

Welcome aboard Dice....Glad you found us.

I'm sure there is a way to make the floor more rigid. Post a few pictures of the boat and floor and I'm certain we can come up with an idea or two.

I have the same boat. A guy posted his crawdad remodel in here a year or two ago. He stripped his and put a floor in it. The main reason I haven't is weight. I have added removable seats, anchor reins, rod straps, and anchor cleats. Also bought storage compartments, made for canoes, that strap around the seat rails, under the seat. Bought a Bulldog foot control trolling motor a year ago for it, but haven't set it up for it yet. Going to work on that next week, running battery cable from the rear to the front. Also going to remove the styrofoam from the front, for more storage. Mounting Bass Pro Rod holder, two to each side. You should have plenty of motor for the boat, but I do only take mine on lakes, have a ten foot Jon for the rivers. Good luck and look forward to your pictures. May have to post some pictures of mine on here too.

Ill get some up after the rain stops and i drain it. Really shouldn't of left it in the truck last night. nothing special its green and goes slow.

These are on my to add list after the floor goes in.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10211541_225008001_225000000_225008000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

AND

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205170_225008005_225000000_225008000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Just not sure of the one for the hieght. would like it to be adjustable but i can live without it.

Dice1 said:
These are on my to add list after the floor goes in.

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10211541_225008001_225000000_225008000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

AND

https://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_10205170_225008005_225000000_225008000?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

Just not sure of the one for the hieght. would like it to be adjustable but i can live without it.

I guarantee WallyWorld (Walmart) has both of those items much cheaper than Bass Pro does (I've seen them there this year).
Just a heads up.

I have those seats in my Crawdad and they are great. You might reconsider using the pedastal, have two pedastals myslef, but didn't use them, Not really a need in the crawdad. I have mine with the removal mounts. I haul my boat upside down on my pop-up camper.

Was at Bass Pro last Sunday, they have those seats on sale right now at a good price.

What would be a good option for a seat that has good mobility. Its just that my father is just getting better and doesnt wont have full mobility for a while.. I need to make this thing more Stable along with good seats that wont kill his back or legs. Would home made Pontoons be a good option to help in the stability unlike the ones from the Toybota from Top Gear they wont have bin lids for a more hydrodynamic design but a more pontoon boat style.

I have the Crawdad and a basshunter 3x. To be honest with you I am trading someone my crawdad for a Basshunter EX for the same reason. I feel the pontoons are just more stable.

EX.png

Don't the new ones have rollor wheels in the back? I just like the old Jon boat look of the Crawdad and its lighter than my old Sears from years Back.

Latest posts